Skip to content

2 questions about murder and space

Learn all about murder mystery parties and how to host your own.

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

2 questions about murder and space

Postby mseymour » November 11th, 2007, 8:24 pm

I am having my party next week and have two questions...
1. Is having more than one room preferable or several? I am renting out a bar in which there is a stage and we were going to set up gaming tables. The tone is already set as the bar is historic, think a lot of red velvet. However it is downstairs in a "haunted hotel" so if it would make the game better I could get one of the hotel rooms set up as a room in the brothel. I am just not sure if it is better to have people all in the same room or going up and down. Please let me know asap thanks.

2. About unplanned murders, what if a main character is killed off? Isn't there information that these characters need to reveal? What if they don't have a chance to do this before they die? Also I was thinking of having four spectacles on hand so when characters die and are made inspectors they will be easily differentiated from their old characters. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
mseymour

Postby 2coolbaby » November 19th, 2007, 5:53 pm

Is having more than one room preferable or several? I am renting out a bar in which there is a stage and we were going to set up gaming tables. The tone is already set as the bar is historic, think a lot of red velvet. However it is downstairs in a "haunted hotel" so if it would make the game better I could get one of the hotel rooms set up as a room in the brothel. I am just not sure if it is better to have people all in the same room or going up and down. Please let me know asap thanks.

It is preferable to have more than 1 room is possible, but it is not required. It sounds like you already have a lot of room to move around downstairs, so I think renting an upstairs room is not necessary.

About unplanned murders, what if a main character is killed off? Isn't there information that these characters need to reveal? What if they don't have a chance to do this before they die?

We don't have the weapons scavenger hunt until about 1/2 way through the evening. This prevents this being an issue. Also, no one person has all the information about anything in this game. We make sure info is spread out. If someone has a secret, then you can bet someone else knows about it, or at least has strong suspicions. That is part of the fun. You have to figure out how to handle these situations. Then lastly, the murder can be solved just from the evidence alone. It does not rely on somebody asking the right person the right question.

Also I was thinking of having four spectacles on hand so when characters die and are made inspectors they will be easily differentiated from their old characters.

You could do this if you wanted to. It isn't necessary, but could add to things.

Have a great party!

[/i]
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Re: 2 questions about murder and space

Postby LadyJ » January 9th, 2010, 1:17 pm

This has been my delimna too - how to change the disguise of the victim who is resurrected to a new character? I gather from some of your comments - that you possibily prefer giving them a new character, rather than inspector? I want to do what you think is more fun for the actor, however I have been concerned that others will keep forgetting that the actor is now a new character if they have the same clothes, props, etc. (even with a name tag change). The idea that the previous poster had about spectacles (and maybe detective hat) sounded pretty good. However, as stated before, I want to do what is most fun for the actor...and I get the impression you prefer giving them the new character. Is that correct? :?:
LadyJ

Re: 2 questions about murder and space

Postby 2coolbaby » February 2nd, 2010, 10:28 pm

You may have already had your party and if so, I apologize. Our forum went on the fritz and we had to rebuild it.

In answer to your question, I do prefer to give them another character to play, as this allows them to be much more involved, than if they play a general inspector.

People tend to keep the new characters straight, as there are only so many murders that can occur and everyone knows who and when someone is murdered.
Mary Lee
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to How to Host a Murder Mystery Party Game