Skip to content

Can the Host Participate?

Learn all about murder mystery parties and how to host your own.

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

Can the Host Participate?

Postby 2coolbaby » November 10th, 2004, 6:19 am

Yes! I highly suggest that they do so. Why should the host have to sit out on all the fun? Our games are so easy to host that this is not a problem.

To participate the host can assign characters based on the Guests List instead of reading characters. Do not read the Characters or the Solution to participate in the game.

Also I do not force the Party Hosts to play the roles of the game character hosts. I always think it is best to assign characters by personality, not force someone into a certain role.

If your hosting duties will be heavy, then you might want to play a more secondary character, but there is no reason not to play a character. Reading everything will in no way help the game as our games are driven by the guests themselves. Just follow the step by step instructions in the Host Guide and use your Organizing Labels to have everything ready to hand out when the step by step tells you to. That is ALL the host has to do.
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby Guest » May 11th, 2005, 1:24 am

I will be palying murder at 4 deuces.
I have 2 questions:

If the host choses to play, does they have to be the inspector or can they be any of the listed characters?

Is the inspector a suspect in the murder too?

Postby 2coolbaby » May 11th, 2005, 11:57 am

The host can play any character they wish to play. It is best to assign guests and the host to characters that have compatible personalities. For this reason I do not force the host to play a specific character.

EVERYONE is a suspect :twisted:
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Re: Can the Host Participate?

Postby Ashley3496 » October 2nd, 2009, 7:11 pm

My friend and I are planning a murder mystery halloween party using The Immortal Murders. We definitely don't want anything to spoil the mystery for us. So are we allowed to read the general character booklets or are they off limits just like the confidential booklets?
Ashley3496

Postby 2coolbaby » October 3rd, 2009, 10:43 am

Off limits. Do not read the character backgrounds, character confidentials, evidence or solution. You can of course read your own, but no one else's.
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby breaalynn » July 29th, 2010, 11:32 am

What happens if the host becomes one of the secondary murder victims?
breaalynn

Postby 2coolbaby » August 18th, 2010, 3:54 pm

Then they can come back as another character or an Inspector, but they still carry on their hosting duties, or if you like you can also make killing the host/ess off limits. That is your perogative!
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby Shaay » August 20th, 2011, 8:40 pm

I am planning on using the Immortal Murders for my birthday party, but I want to participate in addition to being the host. I need to match up people to characters the best that I can, but I don't feel like I have enough information from reading the Guest list to match them up properly. What is the best way to minimize spoiling the game for myself while using the character backgrounds to gauge the characters' personalities so I can match them up with my guests? Or should I just enlist the help of a non-participant and not look at the character backgrounds at all?
Shaay

Return to Board index

Return to How to Host a Murder Mystery Party Game