Skip to content

Newbie Help!!

Learn all about murder mystery parties and how to host your own.

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

Newbie Help!!

Postby Brokenwing109 » January 4th, 2009, 6:13 pm

I am planning to host our very first Murder Mystery dinner in late February to celebrate my husband's 49th birthday. Neither of us has ever attended or hosted one of these dinners, but have often thought it would be fun. I am planning on having 8 family members in addition to my husband and myself(both sets of parents, brother & sister in law and daughter & son in law). We live in the country with our trio of labs, about a one hour wintery drive from the rest of the family. I would appreciate any tips or suggestions for us newbies!! Is there a particular party kit you would suggest? I really want this to be a success for him. Thank you very much!!
Brokenwing109

Re: Newbie Help!!

Postby 2coolbaby » January 5th, 2009, 4:19 pm

It sounds like you have 10 total, including your guests, so any of our kits would work for you. I personally prefer Murder at the Four Deuces. It is just the best game, bar none.

About 75% of my customers are newbies. We create these to be easy to host. Just follow the instructions and everything will be fine. I highly suggest browsing the forum, which also has suggestions. Other than that, I cannot provide any suggestions that are not already here in the forum.
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby imihelsone » June 16th, 2010, 12:25 am

Hello!
I'm willing to host a murder mystery party (for my own birthday on July 3 - will be quite hot weather), but can't decide which game should I choose. There are several considerations to take into account:
1) the number of guests - 11 stable, 3 may participate and may also not. Total - 14
2) knowing my friends - I just don't believe they will be willing to work on their costumes...and neither I am willing to work on decorations too hard
3) the potential place for this event: http://www.ss.lv/msg/lv/real-estate/fla ... ghfxi.html
...because I don't have an appropriate place of my own to host a party.

What would you suggest??
I really liked the description of Four Deuches, but it seems that costumes and decorations are inevitable for this game...and I'm not ready to do it.

Thanks in advance for your answer!
Inga
imihelsone

Postby 2coolbaby » June 21st, 2010, 6:20 pm

No game absolutely requires costume or theme setting. These are usually done for people who want to go all out and make things as realistic as possible. I have hosted Murder at the Four Deuces with no costumes required or theme settings done. About 1/2 the people did not wear costumes and that was just fine. For theme, all I did was purchase black and gold plastic plate, plastic ware and paper napkins. I set up 2 tables for poker and blackjack, but that was because it added a lot of fun to the party; but even this would not be necessary.

You could play any of our games without costumes or decorating.
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby imihelsone » June 22nd, 2010, 1:08 am

Well, thanks for the comment, but I already purchased Dazzled to death. Looks like it's gona be fun! I'm excited and looking forward :) Will come back to provide my feedback!
imihelsone

Postby 2coolbaby » July 23rd, 2010, 10:11 am

Dazzled to Death isn't one of our games, but I do hope you have a fantastic party!
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to How to Host a Murder Mystery Party Game