Skip to content

Having Everyone eat dinner before the murder

Learn all about murder mystery parties and how to host your own.

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

Having Everyone eat dinner before the murder

Postby River889 » November 23rd, 2004, 2:28 pm

We're having a sit down dinner with this party, and I want to be sure everyone has the chance to eat dinner before someone gets murdered. Since I don't know who the murderer is, and most people don't know when the murder is going to take place -- is there some way around this?
River889

Re: Having Everyone eat dinner before the murder

Postby 2coolbaby » November 23rd, 2004, 6:05 pm

River889 wrote:We're having a sit down dinner with this party, and I want to be sure everyone has the chance to eat dinner before someone gets murdered. Since I don't know who the murderer is, and most people don't know when the murder is going to take place -- is there some way around this?

In my games, with the exception of The Santa Clause, I actually suggest the murder take place just before dinner, about 30 minutes into the evening. This way the murdered character can arrive and eat as his / her new character, people get to open their secrets sheet & go over them & start feeling people out over dinner, then after dinner the Inspector / Detective can present the evidence and people can start moving and mingling.

I always have a sit down dinner at my parties (although this isn't required) & this is the way that I run the games and they seem to work out well this way. Having a murder before dinner gets everyone excited and talking instead of facing a somber, quiet dinner :D

The character that is scheduled to 'die' performs some things, then let's you know it is time for him to 'depart'. This usually happens very quickly in the evening. If you are insistent that the murder happen after dinner then you will need to get with the person who is going to 'die' & make your plans.

I always find it a very good idea to have a conversation before the party with the planned murder victim so that you can co-ordinate the timing of their 'murder'. How will they let you know it is time? Etc...
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to How to Host a Murder Mystery Party Game