Skip to content

Sept. 2007 Winner! - MURDER! at the Four Deuces

Feedback on Murder at the Four Deuces Murder Mystery Parties!

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

Sept. 2007 Winner! - MURDER! at the Four Deuces

Postby blacksamster » September 15th, 2007, 7:28 pm

It was a dark night when I, Madam MeMe, and my loving husband Don Wannabe, opened our smashing new speakeasy to the public.

There was some tension among our guests at first. In a moment of absent-mindedness I made the mistake of inviting both Big Jim Ravioli and his ex-wife, Vicky. And was I ever mortified to realize that an INSPECTOR had managed to infiltrate my party! I knew I would have to be careful to avoid any trouble.

The guests mingled for awhile, and many of them bought drinks and began to migrate toward their friends, or should I say, allies?

It was during dinner that catastrophe struck. Big Jim was about to make a toast, when the lights went out, a terrifying crack sounded, and the lights came back on to reveal Big Jim! DEAD OF A GUNSHOT WOUND!

Of course the Inspector quickly locked down the building and began his investigation. We were all, of course, intrigued by the contents of Jim's Last Will, though the reading of that document turned the entire company into a pack of scheming mongrels!

Carrie and Vanessa banded together, while Don Wannabe began to cultivate the attention of his younger sister Donna (who, in the chaos after the murder had managed to acquire a weapon). The Don also began to scheme with the Capo, Toto Tequila, who agreed to help reduce the number of contenders in Big Jim's Last Will.

Paranoia and greed led to increasing chaos. Al Capone was hired by MULTIPLE schemers to kill people, but the poor hit-man never acquired a weapon. The Baroness was lured into an empty room and killed by Vicky (who apparently could not resist the opportunity to dispatch her old mother-in-law). Carrie was likewise murdered by Donna Wannabe at the behest of her brother. Vanessa Crooner wandered the party in despair at her daughter’s death, then murdered the Capo in the mistaken belief that HE had dealt her daughter the killing blow!

The Inspector eventually caught the original culprit, No spoilers allowed! The scandal attached to that family is unimaginable.

By the end of the night the Don and I inherited everything, because everyone else in the Last Will had killed one another off or been arrested!

--------

The night was a big hit with all my friends. I decorated my dining room with gambling decals from the poker-night section of a party goods store (we even had playing card shot glasses!). I also made a soundtrack of old Italian folk music including some Neopolitan Tarantellas. We had a variety of hard drinks, but we also made Italian Sodas for the underage guests (you can get Torani syrups at most major grocery chains). Everyone attempted their best gangster accents (though one of my friends came off more like an Irish thug than anything else!), and some of the ones who said they might be too shy to play wound up being the most animated actors of the bunch. Vanessa Crooner was particularly conniving, and she looted several corpses in order to come out the richest person of the night. The scheming that took place after Big Jim's murder was the best. There were numerous backstabbing deals and hilarious match-ups due to the in-game romantic affairs.

And next time we throw this sort of party I believe that everyone will be a LOT more suspicious when somebody asks them to step away from the crowd for a 'private' conversation!
Attachments
string of murders.jpg
string of murders.jpg (83.76 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
death of big jim.jpg
death of big jim.jpg (72.54 KiB) Viewed 4066 times
usual suspects.jpg
usual suspects.jpg (87.28 KiB) Viewed 4066 times
blacksamster

Postby blacksamster » September 15th, 2007, 7:31 pm

Hmmm, the pictures loaded in the order opposite of what I intended, but oh well!
blacksamster

Postby blacksamster » September 16th, 2007, 2:21 am

Ack, I put in some spoilers and then realized maybe I shouldn't have! Does anyone know how to delete a post...?
blacksamster

Postby 2coolbaby » September 17th, 2007, 9:54 am

I just edited out the spoiler. All the other intrigues are not really spoilers, as they were schemes developed by your guests. That is how our games work. We give your guests lots of ammunition. How they use it, is what determines what happens at a party. Every interaction has the potential to completely change the outcome of the game.

This is part of what makes writing these so very hard. We have to try to foresee the possible outcomes of the intrigue we create and micro-manage information to try to steer a few of the situations that will develop in the direction we want them to go.

You talked about your shy guests being some of your most outgoing. I have always found this to be very true. I think at the heart of every shy person, is someone that hates that about themselves, and wishes they were really outgoing instead. Taking on a character with things to do and say, allows them to interact as someone else, who is not shy. They just bloom once the weight of their normally shy persona is suppressed.

I had a psychologist once tell me that our parties are very therapeutic for people with social anxieties. I tell people this all the time, but until they see it for themselves, they just don't believe me!
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to Murder at the Four Deuces