Skip to content

January 2008 Winner: Murder at the Four Deuces Indianapolis

Feedback on Murder at the Four Deuces Murder Mystery Parties!

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

January 2008 Winner: Murder at the Four Deuces Indianapolis

Postby axepastor » January 3rd, 2008, 10:19 pm

My wife and I LOVE to host parties, but in our 18 years of marriage NONE of our parties have come close to New Years Eve 2007-08! I have never seen our guests laugh to the point of tears, scream with wild abandon, and scheme and murder like they did at the grand opening of Don Wannabe's 'Four Deuces' speakeasy.

We knew the evening was going to be a treat for everyone when I finished a long research project looking for just the right murder mystery and found Murder at the Four Deuces. A few years ago, we had been to a murder mystery party (a non-interactive boxed game) hosted by friends in their home. The evening was played in stages and, frankly, was a bit of a bore .. good to be with friends, but not very flexible. It didn't take long to determine that Dinner and a Murder interactive mystery games are the most creative, well written, and professionally packaged mystery evenings out there!

Just the right ambiance for our party was high on our priority list and we were THRILLED to get a local Italian restaurant as our venue. The location was perfect! The restaurant featured a traditional Italian motif and accents, many different rooms that allowed private conversations and interactions (murders), a very spacious upstairs office that became Madam MeMe's brothel, an massive centrally located room that was perfect for a stage, craps table, tables for dinner, and a fantastic dark alley behind the building where our guests arrived so as not to alert the coppers. The restaurant's owner fixed an tantalizing buffet of Italian food, allowed us full access to the place the day of the party so we could decorate, and left us alone so he could go to his own party that night.

One of the reasons our guests had so much fun at the party was due to another local establishment that helped us, a professional costume house. They pampered all of our 16 guests with several hours of costume building. It seemed like the owners were having as much fun as we were, asking each of us details about our characters, bringing out different costumes, and doting over us by running back and forth from their massive stock of professionally made costumes, accessories, and wigs until each of us was absolutely satisfied with our outfit. You'll see their attention to detail in the pictures ... they hand-tailored each garment to fit us, dry-cleaned each costume, and prepped each wig with care and precision. We had so much fun trying on and picking out costumes that we were calling each other from the store! Their staff was amazing!!

Weeks of planning, thinking creatively, and borrowing lots of ideas from this forum really paid off. The day of the event was a real hoot .. from picking up a rented craps table, to borrowing a mannequin (who would become the dead body under a sheet each time there was a murder), to blacking out the front windows of the restaurant with black paper, to setting up the stage, piano, sound system, and red speakeasy spotlights (where Carrie Crooner sang while Don Wannabe tickled the keys), to setting up Madam MeMe's brothel (a kingsize bed, black lights, candles, a massive mirrored headboard, and 20's striptease music playing in the background), and on and on.

I had a blast printing out signage that marked the 'Fellas Clonker' and the 'Dames Clonker' (bathrooms), Don Wannabee's Bathtub Hooch (a beer, vodka, lemonade, and sprite mix served out of a metal tub, we all preferred it over the beer and wine!), and the tip jar for Carrie and Don. I wanted the signage to look as professional as all of the other amazing material that you will get with one of Mary's murder mystery games, and it did, thanks to some time and Photoshop!

The evening started as guests arrived in their jalopies in the alley behind The Four Deuces. They were met by big Al Capone and his Tommy gun (played by me) who had been hired by Don Wannabe to serve as bouncer for the evening. Our guests giggled a little bit as they each told Al the password, 'the pigeon's packin' heat.
Attachments
Posing.jpg
The costumes were absolutely perfect ... it really motivated us to play up our characters ... we posed for photos all night long!
Posing.jpg (253.21 KiB) Viewed 3913 times
MeMe&CaposMurder.jpg
Madam MeMe had complete control over her upstairs brothel and every murder victim eventually magically turned into bald female mannequins ... HA!!!
MeMe&CaposMurder.jpg (221.23 KiB) Viewed 3913 times
Toosteal&TheGirls.jpg
Congressman Toosteal & his gals.
Toosteal&TheGirls.jpg (246.48 KiB) Viewed 3913 times
Murder&Couple.jpg
Big Jim's murder & fun with flirting!
Murder&Couple.jpg (214.31 KiB) Viewed 3909 times
Group.jpg
Everyone had a blast playing craps to help underwrite their bribing dough.
Group.jpg (235.27 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
axepastor

Great Fun had by The "Nose" and the "Baroness

Postby cmccbrunk » January 6th, 2008, 6:57 pm

I can't tell everyone what a great time we had with this party! From the moment we received the invitation, it was a mystery. My wife and I had never been involved in a murder mystery party or even such a "production" for a party before, but it was all worth it!! Just getting the costumes and seeing everyone all dressed up in their roles was worth the cost 10x.

Next year I hope to find a costume mustache that won't fall into my drink 10 minutes into the event!!

Looking forward to many more parties such as this. Thank you for making our New Year's Eve such a fun time.
cmccbrunk

Speakeasy Opening

Postby indywannabe » January 8th, 2008, 11:06 pm

Wow! I can't believe how good everyone looks.

Of course, I would expect that people would be dressed to the nines at an event like one you described.

Thanks for coming to my club opening and not dropping a dime on the circumstances.

To everyone there at the end, thanks for not getting killed.

Let's do it again.

Don
indywannabe

Postby 2coolbaby » April 4th, 2008, 2:32 pm

I LOVE your entry and you have been chosen as our January Contest Winner. Is there any chance you still have the photoshop graphics you designed? I would love to offer them to others to use for their party.
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to Murder at the Four Deuces