Skip to content

Nov 2009 Co-Winner: "Lucky 26" Birthday Bash- SanDiego

Feedback on Murder at the Four Deuces Murder Mystery Parties!

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

Nov 2009 Co-Winner: "Lucky 26" Birthday Bash- SanDiego

Postby candicefrazier » November 11th, 2009, 3:07 am

Note from Mary Lee, Dinner and a Murder owner: I had a lot of great entries for our November contest, but two of them really stood out and I could not choose between them, so we made the decision to give them both a certificate. Congratulations!

When it comes to planning parties, I tend to be a perfectionist. Among my family & friends I’m known for planning my kid’s parties and going all out… but this was my first adult party and I was nervous about depending on a “kit” to be in control of the destiny of my party. But after much research I decided to purchase the Murder at the Four Deuces, and I am so happy I did!

We had a combine birthday bash for me & my hubby! I started planning it three months in advance only because I was expecting to deliver soon, however this party kit is so well organized you can literally plan it last minute! I sent out the invitations early to give my out of town guests a chance to prepare. After I got most of the RSVP’s confirmed, I assigned guests. Then I started sending periodic emails to get their excitement building, and it worked!

I split the emails up according to awards, so the first email was about Best Dressed. I sent links to 1920’s fashion and costume websites. I told them where to look, videos i.e. Michael Jackson’s Smooth Criminal and movies to watch to get examples. I also searched current stores and found they have a lot of 1920’s styles, I got my dress from Forever21 for just $25 and then accessorized with a flapper wig, pearls, a cigarette holder, and fishnet stockings!

The next email was about being the Wealthiest Player. We had poker tables and other card games including dominoes and a pool table for them to bet against each other in attempts to win money. I sent them links on how to learn how to play Texas hold ‘em and to learn about the card ranks. I also sent them a link to games.com where they can practice to play poker for free. I taught myself how to play poker online and was able to play for the first time at my party!

Third email was about being the Best Performer. I sent a link on 1920’s slang to help them learn phrases to get them into their character better. It was cool seeing that people printed it out and bought it to the party and I could here them throwing around terms when talking to one another.

Lastly, I sent an email about being a Super Sleuth. I gave them instruction on how to better play the party and sent a crossword puzzle made from 1920 clues giving them a “rev up” trial run on how to “solve”. I also gave them a definition of a 1920s term they had to find the word for (I gave them the link and told them what letter it started with to make it easy) and that was the password they had to give to Al Capone.

It was nice sending them a heads up about the awards because prior to the party everyone was claiming the awards they were going to win and it helped them get excited about participating and anticipate the evening.

The party went very well, everyone had a great time. My husband played Big Jim Ravioli and came back as Cash Steal. I gave myself the role of Cassandra Steal so I wouldn’t have vital role and could concentrate on running the party. However due to some last minute cancellations, it through me for a loop and I ended up playing Vicky Ravioli. Because of the last minute hiccups it didn’t go as smoothly as I wanted to but because the party is so well organized and explained that no one even noticed!

At the end we had an award ceremony for all the winners. I bought plastic trophies and had them give a speech when they accepted their trophy and certificate. I was going to also reward them with movie tickets, but since I was planning a “recession proof” party I made movie night home gift baskets. I bought the bucket of popcorns from Blockbuster, added movie theater size candy in them, 2 sodas, a Blockbuster pamphlet of all the movies coming out in Nov. 2009 and an envelope with a Blockbuster logo I printed out and pasted on with $5 inside for a movie rental. So it was inexpensive gift that everyone wanted to win!

For decorations I printed out black & white pictures of famous 1920’s people and placed them in frames from the 99cent store. I took a sharpee and made a bogus signature. I also printed a black & white picture of my sister in law who played Carrie Crooner-Ravioli and included her among the actual 1920 legends.

For food we went with Italian food, since it was the “gangster” theme… can’t go wrong with pasta! Inexpensive, everyone loves, and easy to do buffet style.

For atmosphere, I had candles lit on the tables, and had jazz music playing. I got John Coltrane, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald cds from the library.

For entertainment, we had all the games going on and I also had Carrie Crooner-Ravioli lipsync a song once dinner was served. We got a fake glittery microphone from costume store for just $3!

For the brothel, I bought a cheap sleazy bra and panty set for $2, but them on a couch along with an unused condom, some heels on the floor and a red tea light candles. On a side table I put an empty alcohol bottle with a glass with a lipstick mark on it. I was going to change the light bulb into a red one but forgot to buy one.

For the entry, I had Al Capone the bouncer stand out front. Since they were getting their game packets once they were inside and couldn’t give him money to bribe him, I made cards for the bouncer. So if they got the password correct he gave them the APPROVED card. I copy and pasted the “PASS GO” logo from Monopoly on it. And if they didn’t know the password I put SUSPECT and copy and pasted the “GO TO JAIL” logo from Monopoly. The APPROVED ones got their game packet without problem. If they got a SUSPECT card I told them that the mob… I mean management had to do a background check on them so I took part of their starting game money away. I had warned them of this fatal mistake in the last email I sent!

For the murder, I had the bartender Tom Hopps prepare the drinks for the toast.( Just sparkling cider in plastic shot glasses.) I hid a balloon and a tack under the bar for him. He was responsible for turning the light off and popping the balloon. Since my husband was the murdered one I told him to scream cause I wasn’t sure how everyone would react. But many others followed suit and Baroness started screaming “OH MY SON!” repeatedly and sobbing over him!

The evening was wonderful. I was so impressed at everyone’s costume and participation. Going the unscripted route worked better I think cause people were able to be more creative, therefore more convincing. The game is so easy even my shy guests that I was concerned wouldn’t participate, did. I look forward to hosting another one and according to my guest’s response they look forward to attending another one.

I really encourage having a chance for everyone to reveal what their characters were up to at the end of the evening. It was so shocking to hear all the stuff that was going on. That’s when I realized how brilliantly written this game is! This party kit exceeded my expectations (which I would think would be impossible). I also recommend just buying the box set, I did the download but truly after all the printing and time it takes it would be easier to just buy the set. The download works fine if you have the time. I just ran out of ink at the last minute and had to go make copies of some materials.

My hubby & I will always remember this birthday celebration! …. Our guests will too! :D

All the pictures are posted on our family site at http://frazierfamily.fotopages.com
Attachments
phpRolmhcAM.jpg
Rhett Bumbler, Cash Steal, The Inspector, & Sly Sleaze
phpRolmhcAM.jpg (32.13 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
phpThXKAeAM.jpg
Donna Wannabe, Carrie Crooner-Ravioli, Baroness Ravioli
phpThXKAeAM.jpg (30.15 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
phpGEdGygAM.jpg
Rebecca Ravioli, Cash Steal, & Sly Sleaze
phpGEdGygAM.jpg (31.44 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
phpDgOe4bAM.jpg
Marie Inhaste, Serina Siren, & Vanessa Crooner
phpDgOe4bAM.jpg (32.82 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
php3q5E22AM.jpg
Marie Inhaste, Vicky Ravioli, and Serina Siren
php3q5E22AM.jpg (29.24 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
candicefrazier

Re: Murder at the Four Deuces "Lucky 26" Birthday Bash- SanDiego

Postby 2coolbaby » November 15th, 2009, 1:48 pm

You have some of the best ideas that I have seen in a long time. I am going to post a lot of these to our roaring twenties theme page, once our re-design is finished. Thank you soooo much for sharing all of this. You are so creative!
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby candicefrazier » November 16th, 2009, 11:45 am

Thank you!
Since your doing a re-design page, I can send you what I did for the crossword puzzle!
I made a free online crossword puzzle, then with the words that were in the crossword puzzle, I made them transfer it to another puzzle where some of the letters in the word had a symbol with it. They had to take all the symbols and decipher the phrase which ended up being "keep your friends close and your enemies closer"
It was really fun, I think your fans may like it too... I'd be happy to send you a copy via email!
I'm not sure I explained it perfectly, but once you see it, you'll see it's an easy challenge for guests.
candicefrazier

Postby 2coolbaby » November 16th, 2009, 11:51 am

Sounds great. I would love to see it. I am getting ready to start a blog posting for each theme, that will let me post all kinds of information into each theme page with rss.
Mary Lee
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to Murder at the Four Deuces