Skip to content

murder query

Feedback on Murder at the Four Deuces Murder Mystery Parties!

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

murder query

Postby ebd2431 » March 29th, 2010, 7:09 pm

I am thinking of purchasing the four deuces for my birthday this year, but am a little apprehensive as have only ever played boxed, scripted games in the past - there are a few things which I don't quite 'get'.....

Is it possible not to use the weapons cards in this game - one of the things i've loved about the games i have played is how much everyone enjoys playing their characters, preparing for them props wise and seeing them through to the end etc etc, i don't really like the idea that they could get bumped off and transformed into someone else midway through the game?

I realise the clue is in the name (lol) but can you really play this over dinner? It seems like there would need to be a lot of moving around with no script?

Anyway, hope you can get back to me soon as the game content looks brilliant :)

Elle
ebd2431

Re: murder query

Postby 2coolbaby » April 1st, 2010, 6:21 pm

Is it possible not to use the weapons cards in this game - one of the things i've loved about the games i have played is how much everyone enjoys playing their characters, preparing for them props wise and seeing them through to the end etc etc, i don't really like the idea that they could get bumped off and transformed into someone else midway through the game?

You can leave it out, but you will have to explain to your guests that you are doing so and why, as it is mentioned in their backgrounds, BUT... before you make that decision you should know a couple things. The weapons are not distributed until about 1/2 way through the evening and are almost never used immediately. This is because the weapons become a large part of bribery, blackmail, hired hits, schemes and more. The longer someone holds onto one, the more valuable the weapon and or their services or friendship becomes. They also play into how people play the game. If you can be murdered, you tend to play differently. You try to not make it obvious that you have messed over someone so much that they want to kill you. This can take a lot of finesse. People act like friends, while stabbing you in the back. If no murder can happen, people would likely start randomly and openly messing over everyone else, as there are no consequences for doing so. Weapons make people think and scheme and really use their brains. This is what brings about the most amazing plots between people.

I realise the clue is in the name (lol) but can you really play this over dinner? It seems like there would need to be a lot of moving around with no script?

You do not play it over Dinner. You can serve dinner, buffet, pot luck, appetizers etc... at a point during the game, but most of the party is spent mingling and moving around. During the meal people are reading their Confidential booklets and starting to feel people out about things they have learned. After dinner, the Inspector presents the evidence, then weapon card scavenger hunt (if you are doing it), draw for action cards, then everyone cuts loose!
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to Murder at the Four Deuces