Skip to content

Mary is a Mastermind

Feedback on Murder at the Four Deuces Murder Mystery Parties!

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

Mary is a Mastermind

Postby J » June 14th, 2006, 6:14 pm

I played 4 Deuces maybe 2 weeks ago, and it was awesome. Mary's made it so detailed - it plays extremely well and easily.

I got to see the *real* potential in my friends, it was a group of 12 (We're all teens, from 19-21)

Right after the initial murder and everybody got their secrets, the game skyrocketed into a craze. People making deals, conspiring, scheming, backstabbing.. We had it all. A couple "unhappy" women were trying to take me out, so I had to arrange 3 murders.. Oh well.. lol

Anyway, the game was incredible. Your creativity and story-telling is impeccable.

Thanks for the fun, we're playing again in 4 days.

Cheers,

J
J

Postby 2coolbaby » June 14th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Thanks J! Mastermind Mary... there will be no living with me now :twisted:

You can forward all condolences to my family at:

To the Long Suffering Loved Ones
c/o Mastermind Mary
1313 Pity Party Lane
Mary's World, USA 12345
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby J » June 15th, 2006, 11:26 am

lol, I'll definitely give my sympathies to your family :lol: :lol:

Too bad you aren't surprised when you write all of these, it'd be cool if somebody else as skilled as yourself could write them and you could play it without knowing anything previously.

Cheers,

J
J

Postby 2coolbaby » June 15th, 2006, 11:31 am

I tell you, I play my games all the time & LOVE them. I get a kick out of watching what people do with the information I created. Man I can really see those wheels ticking and it is just so exciting for me.

Now you know why my family deserves sympathy :lol:
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby J » June 15th, 2006, 1:13 pm

lol that's cool.

Btw, which one do you think is best to play after 4 Deuces? Which one do you rank as 2nd best?

Thanks

J
J

Postby 2coolbaby » June 15th, 2006, 2:34 pm

I REALLY like the Immortal Murders. It has the added spells which are really fun. It also has some fantastic characters. A couple are just hilarious.

I also highly suggest Four Deuces 2 for anyone that has played the first one. It is 5 years later & things have changed a lot in the 'Family'. People can play their same characters and it really makes it fun, as they have the background and past of the first game to really build on.

A suggestion only, not a requirement: If you play 4 Deuces 2, after playing the first one, then provide the guests with their characters original booklets and secrets from the first 4 Deuces game. Just in case they have forgotten things. I do not say this is a requirement, as 4 Deuces 2 is a stand alone game and does not require having played the first, but the extra info from the first really enhances and fills in the character background better.

For example: In 4 Deuces 2 Mary Bumpkin is married to Mayor Bill Bumpkin and they are in a political race against Mary's ex-husband U.S. Congressman Darrin Toosteal. Anyone that played the first game knows why Mary & the Congressman divorced. They were still married in the first game. The game is filled with these instances. So while you could play #2, you can also see how it helps to have played the first AND play the same characters for #2 or at least have the original information.

Did I ramble on enough for you???
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby J » June 15th, 2006, 2:59 pm

Nope - sounds good. 4 Deuces 2 should be a hit!

I'm not sure which one I'll choose, I'll probably take a vote and buy whichever one we prefer.

Since I'm gonna play 4 Deuces again, things should get more theatrical 8) But with a full cast (20 people), I wish there were two or so more weapons. However, the lack of a lot of weapons help to keep the game interesting. Like in the last game I played, I didn't have a weapon, so I had to get somebody to blackmail somebody else into doing my dirty work.. it gets interesting!

Worst comes to worst, if we want to experience it with more killing, I'm sure we can get a few more weapons together and see how it takes.

By the way, before you had the weapon clues and stuff, how did you disperse the weapons?

J
J

Postby 2coolbaby » June 15th, 2006, 3:12 pm

Before weapons and clues we just allowed murder to happen... no weapon needed. The problem you could run into there was getting a rogue person who takes out half your party & they are not playing by the rules, which were to tell the host. On the odd occasion things could get out of hand. I have found that the weapon cards and the scavenger hunt are so much better. You have the scavenger hunt aspect and weapons become very valuable commodities. If you do not have a weapon and want someones dead, you have to try to find a way to either acquire one or hire someone that has one. If you have a weapon and do not want to use it, then it you can name your price sooner or later.

They are great tools which add a new scheming layer to the night. It is also more realistic. I mean if you go to a party and someone is about to expose you for some dirty deed, you have to find a way to murder them. You can't just say, "Hey your dead"! The weapon aspect makes things harder. You have to figure how to get a murder done without the wrong person finding out. It changes the whole aspect of the party, but I think in a very good way.
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby J » June 15th, 2006, 3:21 pm

I agree, that was a very good improvement. If you could just kill anybody, it would definitely take out a lot of the game.

Because people need weapons to kill, i made an arrangement with somebody to "always be in their sight". This way nobody could kill me cause I was always watching somebody's back, and they were watching mine. People definitely have a better time when the weapons are highly valued.

But what about more? if you have 20 people, have you thought about adding more?

One thing I'm thinking of improvising, is having 1, 2, or maybe 3 weapons just put hidden in places.. Maybe in cabinets, the fridge, those sorts of places. If somebody finds it by chance, they can use it. For 12 people, 4 was a very good number of weapons.. But with 18 or 20.. I think maybe 5 or 6 will suit better. However, I'll definitely try it with 4 and see how it turns out too! I like the 4 Weapons, very hard.. You have to.. scheme... 8)

J
J

Postby 2coolbaby » June 15th, 2006, 4:42 pm

One thing you could do which could throw people off is to have 2 of a couple of the weapons and make up new clues for them. This way if you knew 'John' had the gun, you would not know for sure that he killed Martha, as there could be another gun out there. See what I mean?
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby J » June 15th, 2006, 4:47 pm

I like that idea. It sounds pretty good. That way there can be more weapons, and add a bit of confusion too. Nice!

----

So you said that before you had weapons, people would become mass murderers. So really, more weapons doesn't necessarily mean the same thing happening. There would just be more killing.

I think 6 will be the lucky number I choose. I don't want it to be too much, because I'll run out of characters to give them.

I'll let you know what I decide.. But nice tip though!

Now I'll start working on some clues for objects around the place I'll be using.

Thanks

J
J

Postby 2coolbaby » June 15th, 2006, 4:55 pm

I hosted 1 party where one of the guests was killing off people we needed & he wasn't coming and telling me. In the first 1/2 hour before the murder took place I had 4 murders happen! I had to halt the game and confront the person doing it. He didn't do much better later, he was still out of control. THAT is when I decided that we needed another method for murder.

I have thrown these for years with no problems, but all it takes is one out of control rude person who ignores the host to wreck your party. A host puts too much time, money and heart into these parties to have them ruined by an inconsiderate guest. I just fixed that possibility with the weapons cards!
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Re: Mary is a Mastermind

Postby J » August 17th, 2008, 1:25 pm

Hey,

2 years later and I'm finally doing it again. This time I have a full cast for my brother's birthday, and hopefully we should do part 2 a weekend after while it's still fresh in our minds...

This group is filled with extremely smart and scheming people, it should be a lot of fun.

I'm playing the inspector this time, as I know ultimately who the murderer is and a few secrets already. I think I'll still have fun trying to figure out the other murders that happen, as well as tying evidence to the original murder of Big Jim (That information I have forgotten)

By the way, if somebody gets killed off and the victim has a weapon, the murderer takes that as their own, right? Or does the unused weapon seize to exist after that?

Thanks!
J

Postby 2coolbaby » August 18th, 2008, 4:10 pm

The unused weapon is torn when used and then placed into "evidence". They cannot be re-used. No more than 4 additional murders allowed :lol:

I wanted to let you know that you can also buy a Box Upgrade or Replacement for $20, plus shipping, for your original order. This will give you everything already printed, packaged and ready to go. As I am sure you know, you will spend more than that just on materials to print the kit. You just need your previous order ID and you put it in the Customer Notes field when you checkout. If you don't have that, email me off list and provide the email address you bought the game with and I will send it to you.
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby J » August 18th, 2008, 6:08 pm

Hmm I wonder if it will reach by Saturday? Sounds like a good idea for sure, as last time it was more than $20 to get everything printed.
J

Postby 2coolbaby » August 18th, 2008, 6:33 pm

If you ordered tonight it would go out tomorrow. Where are you located?
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby J » August 18th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Miami :oops: Dumb storm.

Pretty far, kinda... You think it will reach? That would be awesome.
J

Postby 2coolbaby » August 18th, 2008, 7:01 pm

Miami is not that far from us. We are in TN. You would have it by Friday, most likely on Thursday. You can use the RSVP system to send invites and the character background. You can also get the Guest List Worksheet there to help you assign characters.
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby J » August 18th, 2008, 7:05 pm

I emailed everybody today, with the character backgrounds... But I'll get it shipped anyway so I don't have to print out any of the other stuff. I just have to find that ID...

Or the email address I used, let me try find out which one it was
J

Return to Board index

Return to Murder at the Four Deuces