Skip to content

March 5, 2011 Murder at the Four Deuces-Contest Entry!

Feedback on Murder at the Four Deuces Murder Mystery Parties!

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

March 5, 2011 Murder at the Four Deuces-Contest Entry!

Postby sptremar » March 6th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Playing the game was great. We had 26 guests at the party and had used the first set of additional characters. A few people solved the murder, but many people played the game well and everyone had an amazing time. Because there were more women than men who were invited to the party, a few of the male characters were played by women. Sly Sleaze and Mayor Bill Bumpkin were played by women who merely changed their characters' gender, but Al Capone and Cash Steal were played by women who played the character as men. It was fun for everyone involved and the accents and slang used by the guests made for a good time. The inspector did his part well, and as it turns out had a special real-life relationship with the murderer, which made the reading of the solution all the more interesting.

I served buffet food but made the mistake of making buffalo wings. Everyone who ate them said they were delicious, but because everyone was dressed up, they tried to avoid the messy food. I also made the pink champagne nonalcoholic punch, which was a huge hit. Some people at the party do not drink, and they said the punch was delicious. Those who did were informed that it was a BYOB party but they had no problem mixing their liquors in their cups with the punch. Some people brought wine and champagne, for which I had cute plastic cups.

The highlight of the party, I'd say, was the photographs taken by a photographer friend of mine. We used a polaroid camera from the 1960s and black and white film. She brought a light (because the party was lit only by candles), and we took portraits of the characters. At the end of the night, I gave out the portraits with CDs I had burned of 1920s music recorded off the 1920s Radio Network (which I had played for the duration of the party).

One of the characters who I won't name was a little upset that most of the other characters were not well informed of the murder of the Black Hand gang leader. This particular character was very interested in this murder, and for a good reason, but the other characters stayed interested in the murders that took place at the party, which made this particular character feel a little purposeless. In the future, I would make sure to assign this character to someone who can be pushy (as opposed to someone who is a little shy, which is what ended up happening) so that the character can get to the bottom of the murder and not feel like he or she is being pushy to the other characters. I would also, in my personal emails to the guests, stress that a murder had taken place and that part of the party is going to involve trying to solve that murder. This way, everyone is well versed in their characters' involvement (or lack thereof) in the murder and can play the game accordingly.

Because Carrie Crooner-Ravioli is an up and coming starlet, I put her photo on the wall among other famous people of the time, like Josephine Baker. This made the decorations not only appropriate but also inclusive and fun.

Thank you for creating such a fun game and I hope you enjoy the photos!
Attachments
18582.jpg
Glenna Glib spilling the beans to Scoop Jennings
18582.jpg (26.46 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
200490_555065177851_8002679_32499212_7975181_n.jpg
Madam MeMe and Rhett Bumbler
4deuce_012.jpg
Baroness and Big Jim Ravioli
4deuce_016.jpg
Baroness Ravioli, Hobart T. King, and Mayor Billy Bumpkin
4deuce_022.jpg
Serina Siren, Guilda Guiseppi, Sam Siren
4deuce_009.jpg
Jack Guiseppi, Mayor Billy Bumpkin
4deuce_008.jpg
Don Wannabe, Vanessa Crooner
4deuce_005.jpg
Sly Sleaze (the host), making an announcement
4deuce_004.jpg
Sam Siren & Sly Sleaze
4deuce_003.jpg
Al Capone, Inspector Neville, Don Wannabe
sptremar

Re: March 5, 2011 Murder at the Four Deuces-Contest Entry!

Postby 2coolbaby » January 27th, 2012, 7:44 pm

Thank you for your review. I do appreciate it.

The Black Hand Gang murder is prominent in the News Item, which is in every persons background booklet, along with some other information guests need. The best thing a host can do is to stress to your guests the importance of reading through their background booklet thoroughly. These days people have a habit of skimming or even worse, not reading at all. This is why we have the booklets given out before the party. To allow the guests time to read them through. Unfortunately, some just don't. I still think your guest had the option to approach people and ask them, "So, did you hear about the Black Hand Gang murder?", or "Who do you think might have been behind the Black hand gang murders?", or any hundreds of other things he could have said depending on who he was talking to and what he wanted to know or get out there. If he was behind it, he could have tried to push suspicion onto someone else. There are just so many things he could have done to stir the pot. Even shy people can do these things. Our games normally help shy people communicate better, but it appears that your guest as not one of them.
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to Murder at the Four Deuces