Skip to content

September '06 Contest Winner - Shara

Feedback on Murder at the Four Deuces Teen Rated Murder Mystery Parties!

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

September '06 Contest Winner - Shara

Postby curlygurly89 » August 15th, 2006, 8:43 am

For a long time, I'd always wanted to have a murder mystery party. For my 14th birthday, I hosted one I'd found on the internet. I was naive to the difference between a good murder mystery party and a bad one. The party I had was scripted. It was difficult to follow and everyone was really confused. It was especially hard to get into character because none of the guests really knew who they were. No one knew who they were in the scheme of things and it was really boring. It ended up being too hard to stand and read the script ( or try to act it out) so, by the end of the party, we were all spread out on the floor, lying down, reading something we didn't understand. No one had a clue who the murderer was. I was in complete shock when I discovered I was the murderer. Everyone said they had fun, but, I wasn't satisfied.

I decided to try it again. This time I searched out and researched more on the internet. I came across the Dinner and a Murder website. After reading about it, I was immediately hooked. I knew that was what I wanted to do. I loved how all the characters knew who they were beforehand, the murderer knew who he/she was, and the party wasn't scripted. It was perfect and sounded like so much fun.

I decided to have the Murder at the Four Deuces party for my 17th birthday since it got such rave reviews. I was so excited. I wanted to play, so, I asked my good friend, Nicki, to host the party. She did an amazing job. We took about 3 months planning it all out. I handwrote (AH!) 85 invitations that were handed out to everyone in my grade at school. The catch was, only the first 40 to RSVP could come to the party since there were only 40 characters. I wanted to at least INVITE everyone so everyone so that no one would feel left out. The phone calls came like crazy. I even received a few during classes at school. People were constantly coming up to me and saying "ARE THERE ANYMORE SPOTS?!" It was great.

We got our 40. I wanted to know absolutely nothing about the party, so, I asked Nicki to chose the characters for everyone, including me. I didn't care who I was, as long as I wasn't the murderer. I didn't want people to think it was so obvious because it was my party. Nicki, however, choosing names for people at random, accidentally gave me the murderer. It ended up being a good thing, so, it was all good.

Well, the day of the party arrived and I was super nervous. We rented out the perfect sized building on the beach. It was amazing. We spent all morning picking up decorations, costumes, painting "The Four Deuces" signs, getting drinks and food, and dancing around to 1920's music. I was so excited.

Most guests arrived dressed perfectly. There were some that didn't go all out, but, still looked nice. Everyone mingled and got a kick out of it. When the murder happened, all the lights didn't go out and it ended up looking somewhat humorous, but, it was great anyway.

I'm an actress and am going to college this week for my BFA in Theatre Arts, so, I guess it was expected of me to be all "Dramatic". But, what blew me away were the people you would never expect to get into it that were just SO into the whole thing. They never missed a beat and were always in character.

We also had black jack tables and poker tables set up for extra entertainment.

I'd have to say that the extra characters in the packets stole my heart. Georgio Gigolo kept handing out the business cards, offered to light women's cigarettes, and was constantly telling me "I'm sorry about your father. If there's anything I can do, just let me know." It was so hilarious because the guy who played him was a total jock and the "hottie" of the school. Harry Hyde walked around with tin foil hats and kept telling everyone that the aliens are coming and they were the killers.

We had 4 additional murders which were quite comical. Everyone had fun trying to figure out the clues to find the weapons. People were paying people to kill people off for them. People were buying weapons off people. It was crazy. Every now and then you'd hear peircing screams and someone would be dead.

We all drank Ginger Ale in plastic champagne glasses and smoked fake cigarettes. Some even joined in in a Charleston dance.

We gave out the awards and finished the night off with birthday cake. It was so much fun. If anyone is interested in having a murder mystery party then chose non other than the ones on this site. You will not be dissapointed. They far outweigh any other murder mystery party. You'll have a blast, believe me.

Thank you so much for writing such incredibly parties!!

Love,
Shara

Here's some pictures
Attachments
killing tahnee.jpg
killing tahnee.jpg (23.68 KiB) Viewed 3913 times
432e.jpg
432e.jpg (27.15 KiB) Viewed 3914 times
CIMG3349.JPG
CIMG3349.JPG (179.32 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
41a1.jpg
41a1.jpg (27.85 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
7e5e.jpg
7e5e.jpg (25.24 KiB) Viewed 3913 times
curlygurly89

Postby 2coolbaby » August 15th, 2006, 1:04 pm

Hi Shara,

Thank you so much for the great review and actually talking about the differences between scripted and interactive games.

I try to tell people the differences, but I am sure many people think I am just saying those things because I write and sell interactive games. BUT, the reason I write and sell interactive games is because they are just a completely different class of party. You described their differences amazingly well. Scripted games are awful. I did 2 of them and was extremely disappointed in them and I will never recommend a company that sells them.

Unfortunately even with interactive kits you can get bad ones. Just because a kit is interactive doesn't mean it is good. I have had a couple people actually steal my complete method of writing and playing these, but very few people can actually write really good murder mystery games. I am of the opinion, if you do not have the imagination to create game kits that are at least a little different than the company you ripped off, then how can anyone expect you to actually have enough imagination to write? Fortunately for me they don't.
:lol:

Like you said it Is a very good idea to do a LOT of research. It could be the difference between hosting a disaster or hosting the party of the year!

All that aside I would like to thank you for your great review and kind words.
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby rayvani » August 19th, 2006, 3:32 pm

I also agree about the scripted murder mysteries. I had a murder mystery party awhile ago, and everyone received their book when they showed up, and we all proceeded to sit around the table and read our lines as they came up. It was no very exciting, it didn't seem like it was ever going to end.

I am extremely excited for my party, the four deuces, where everyone has the chance to walk around and act like their character.

Never again will I buy a scripted set.
rayvani

Postby AlphaSquirell » August 23rd, 2006, 11:46 am

And now that Four Deuces has been done, you should move on to Four Deuces II!

If anything, it is MORE fun because most people can be the same characters! (I think there are about 5 that are different, maybe?)

We had open house at school yesterday, and when my mom and I went through looking for classes (and teachers she knew, imagine, my english teacher was teaching when my mom was in school!) and we were constantly running into people who asked "When is the next murder mystery?"

So far, we've done Four Deuces, Four Deuces II, and the Immortal Murders. For ANYONE who wants to do a murder mystery, I recommend ALL 3!!!

Can't WAIT for the next one!!!! (neither can anyone else around here, for that matter!)
AlphaSquirell
Murder Mystery Expert
Murder Mystery Expert

Postby 2coolbaby » August 23rd, 2006, 11:52 am

Hey Alpha!

Just wanted to let you know that I have someone drafting the Tombstone characters for me & as soon as we get the boxed sets released I am going to be hard at hammering the final characters and game together to get it ready in plent of time for Halloween Parties. I am doing odds and ends now in my spare time (which unfortunately isn't as much as I would like!)
Mary Lee
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby AlphaSquirell » August 23rd, 2006, 8:03 pm

Hurray!

Murder Mysetry #4, here we come!
AlphaSquirell
Murder Mystery Expert
Murder Mystery Expert

Return to Board index

Return to Murder at the Four Deuces TAME