Skip to content

So much fun!

Feedback on The Santa Clause Murder Mystery Parties.

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

So much fun!

Postby Windmill » January 12th, 2009, 6:01 am

We had a BLAST.

I had 9 people, 5 males 4 girls. I played, and I was the hostess, and it all worked out fine. We're between the ages 17-18 and I was a little worried that because this seemed to be designed for office groups we wouldn't fit it very well- but I was wrong! I was also playing with a lot of introverted people, and people after the initial awkward stage shifted into their characters (I found providing food at the start provided people with something to do! Everyone gathered around the food and started talking)

Of course, not everything went smoothly- it was my first ever party, and the first one (murder mystery, I mean) that everyone had been too. However, when things didn't go so well, it was all quite humerous and just added to the fun.

There were lots of different subplots that had everyone hooked and added to the excitment.

I would greatly encourage everyone to dress up, because it really helped to slip into your character when you were dressed up, and talking to others dressed up.

Another thing is I would make sure you talk well ahead with the Inspector about how to handle the dead body. Mine had some trouble.

Another thing I would add is consequences for referencing your booklets. We had some very curious souls ask people "was that in your confidential booklet?" Which not only took one out of the game, but also created an awkward moment for those trying to lie...

Also, I wouldn't hide the weapon cards if you're all in small areas (I was in 3 reasonably sized rooms in a house plus outside) because people see who has the weapon cards.

Another thing I would do is add in a rule where people can only SHOW their weapon cards to someone if they are actually going to murder someone, because we had issues where people showed their weapon cards to prove they didn't murder an individual (a funny story about that- but thats for another day!) and so that way it made it obvious who murdered the dead individual.

The entire party was intense! Everyone had such a blast. It went for 3.5 hours, but it could easily have gone on for a further hour, though by then the murderer would've probably become very clear. I'd try to allow a lot of time for the party to go into if the party still has life in it like ours did.

Here are some pictures from it! Here is our very own Enid! (who also won best dressed), Seymour and Marsha! (me) Please excuse the red eye.
Attachments
marsha.jpg
Marsha
marsha.jpg (69.4 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
seymour.jpg
Seymour
seymour.jpg (80.29 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
enid.jpg
Enid
enid.jpg (74.89 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
Windmill

Re: So much fun!

Postby 2coolbaby » January 13th, 2009, 5:29 pm

I am glad you guys had a first time success.

I am going to try to address each of your suggestions below:
Another thing is I would make sure you talk well ahead with the Inspector about how to handle the dead body. Mine had some trouble.

We actually have good instructions in the Inspector's character background booklet about handling murders:

"After the murder takes place, you need to take charge. Tell the guests not to panic. Feel for a pulse and pronounce the victim dead and ask some of the guests to help you remove the body from the room. The victim will give you an envelope, which you 'found' on his body. Return to the party and announce that no one is allowed to leave the party, as they are all murder suspects. You will need to handle all additional murders too."

Another thing I would add is consequences for referencing your booklets. We had some very curious souls ask people "was that in your confidential booklet?" Which not only took one out of the game, but also created an awkward moment for those trying to lie...

We do state on the front of everyone's Confidential Booklet, "If you are caught peeking at anyone else’s Confidential Sheet, you must forfeit all of your money!"

Confidential means secret. What is in anyones Confidential Booklet is no one else's business. Anyone that reveals what is in their confidential booklet deserves what they get. We do tell you in your character background that any information that would incriminate or embarrass your character should be kept secret. That would include lying to cover it up. If they fell for a ruse that some enterprising person thought up, then they have to live with those consequences.

Another thing I would do is add in a rule where people can only SHOW their weapon cards to someone if they are actually going to murder someone, because we had issues where people showed their weapon cards to prove they didn't murder an individual (a funny story about that- but thats for another day!) and so that way it made it obvious who murdered the dead individual.

Let me give you an example of why this should not have happened. Say you planned to commit a murder with a gun you had in your pocket. Someone else had murdered a person with poison, so to prove it wasn't you, would you really show the gun you will be using later to knock off someone else? That would not be smart at all. If a person revealed their weapon card, then it is their own fault they were caught.

A murder mystery game is a game of wits, which is proven by the incidents above. Some of your guests used their wits very well, while others left theirs at home :D
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby Windmill » January 15th, 2009, 7:23 am

Oh I definitely agree with those points, though for my friends I'd have to state such things more clearly, because when they got too excited they took themselves out of the game :lol: well, some of them did. Some of them were so good at acting! :)

The murder card incident occurred mainly because the character who was "murdered" didn't actually get murdered (the inspector). The reason for him not being good at his characters role nor understanding that he was not murdered is due to his own personality :lol: but it just made for some fun laughs and will go down in history as one of the funniest moments we've all ever experienced :mrgreen: though in the santa clause, there is no poison, and everyone knew who had what murder cards because of the close quaters in which we played. It was a unique set-up and everybodies would all be very different :)
Windmill

Postby 2coolbaby » January 15th, 2009, 11:11 pm

In close quarters, the drawing murder cards with the action cards method is best.
Mary Lee
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to The Santa Clause