Skip to content

Method 2: Multiple Party Groups

Suggestions or questions to help you host a large murder mystery party or event.

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

Method 2: Multiple Party Groups

Postby 2coolbaby » November 10th, 2004, 4:44 am

If you have 2 or 3 times the number of guests attending than you have characters for, the Multiple Party Groups method is a good way to go. Don't be scared this is much easier then it sounds :D

Our games are created to be VERY is to host. This makes this format easy to pull off. In our games the host duties are as follows:

- Do what needs to be done to set up the murder. This can be nothing or turning out the lights and popping a balloon. Something along these lines. Nothing drastic.
- If there is another murder that happens then the person who commits the murder will come tell the host they did the dirty deed and where the 'body' can be found. This is to insure a guest doesn't have to lie 'dead' for hours :D

This is the extent of your hosting duties as entailed by the game. This makes it easy to run multiple games at one time. For example, say you have 40 people attending. You have a game sized for 12-20 guests. You would print out 2 Guest Lists and then assign your Guests using these. You can label them Group 1 and Group 2. You would print 2 of everything else. The way to be able to tell the difference between the 2 groups would be to use different color name tags or just mark one of the Groups nametags with a highlighter. This way people will know who they have to interact with within their group.

It is best at the beginning of the evening to seperate out the 2 groups. Tell them that these will be the people they will need to ineract with. Also let them know that they can talk to people from the other group. Good for plotting, trying to buy information etc... The groups are not actually seperated during game play. Then you just turn them loose!

Pulling off the murder if there is one that happens, takes a little coordinating. You will need to talk to the people who are playing the characters that are going to be murdered before the party and work this out. When they have accomplished everything they need to do, each one needs to come up to you. When both soon to be murder victims are ready then they would go back and do what they need to be doing when they 'die' If you have to turn out lights and pop a balloon or whatever it is you need to do, you would do so now. Another words you need to work with the victims to insure the murders occur simultaneously.

This is pretty much all you have to do to run multiple groups. If you have more questions on this just reply to this post.
2coolbaby
Site Admin

to many

Postby ravigil » January 27th, 2005, 9:48 pm

Do you think killer reunion would work with 36 to 40 people without making it 2 separate groups?

I am trying to plan this without knowing how many people are really coming??
ravigil

Postby 2coolbaby » January 28th, 2005, 10:49 am

Killer Reunion only goes up to 32 & already includes the Extra Characters from our packets free so there is no way at this time to expand it. Our Murder at the Four Deuces can be expanded up to 40 with the addition of the 2 extra character packets.
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby Guest » September 30th, 2005, 8:28 pm

I'm running the Teen version of the Four Deuces this way on Oct 11. My question is this: Do I assign an inspector for each group?

When the inspector reads the info at our party, it would be easier to have one inspector read to all the people. What do you think?

Also, what do you do in the event that someone doesn't show up? I have tried to stress the importance of making a commitment to show up, but I won't be surprised if I have one or two "no shows".

Postby 2coolbaby » October 1st, 2005, 6:20 pm

I hope you assigned your manditory minimum guests to people that are reliable. I have some guests that always promise to show up & actually make it about 1/2 the time. Not very reliable, so I always assign them secondary characters so they don't leave me hanging.

In the event you do have a main character as a no-show then you are going to have to do some switching around and give that main character to a person who was playing a secondary character. If secondary characters do not show up it is no big deal.

You could have just 1 inspector. That should work out just fine.
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2005, 9:25 am

Should I have two evidence tables or just one?

Both of my groups will be in one large room for the entire evening.

Do you have any other tips for running this kind of event? Is there anything that I'm overlooking?

Postby 2coolbaby » October 6th, 2005, 1:05 pm

I really think that 1 table and 1 set of evidence is enough. In fact you could also just have 1 Inspector. This one would do double duty between the 2 groups and handle the Evidence Presentation & the Solution Presentation. Make sure this person is outgoing and has good speaking abilities.
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to Host a Large Murder Mystery Event