Skip to content

Playing the Murderer

Tidbits to help you host a great murder mystery party.

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

Playing the Murderer

Postby 2coolbaby » April 8th, 2006, 4:57 am

So - you're about to play an interactive murder mystery game, and you've just found out that you're the murderer? Don't panic - here are a few tips to help you:

Don't tell anyone you're the murderer: First of all, don't admit that you're the murderer to anyone - especially at the start of the game. That will spoil it for you and the other guests.

You're a villain: Also remember that you've committed a murder - you're a villain. You should be unrepentant even when found out - indeed, you should probably cackle with glee instead.

The imperfect murder: Don't expect the murder you've committed to be the perfect murder. It isn't - there are clues that point in your direction. You personally might have chosen a different way to murder your victim, but that's not how your character has done it. (That's because murder mystery parties are puzzles - and part of the puzzle is solving the murder. It wouldn't be possible to solve a perfect murder, so it wouldn't be much fun for everyone else.)

Motive-means-opportunity: The way that a murder is normally solved is to determine the motive (why you murdered your victim), means (how you committed the murder) and opportunity (when you did it). Your job is therefore to deflect suspicion away.

Blame someone else: The best way to deflect suspicion away from yourself is to find someone else to take the blame. You should be able to find at least one other person with reasons for committing murder, so see if you can get them to take the blame instead of you.

Expect to be found out: Ultimately though, you should expect to be found out. You're the murderer and everyone else is looking for you - you're going to be caught, it's inevitable. However, if you're good and can deflect enough suspicion away from yourself, nobody will realise that you're the murderer until the solution is read out.

Have fun: Overall, don't forget to have fun. The murderer you may be, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have fun in your villainy.

This helpful article was written by Steve Hatherley
http://www.great-murder-mystery-games.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby jackie » October 21st, 2007, 6:34 am

Hi,

I'm the host of the party - there are 20 of use and I've just found out I'm the murderer -- is this too much for me to do as well as host or should I be ok ? I'm doing it as a dinner party and it's the first one I'm doing - - I've just assigned all the characters but haven't allocated them yet? - - what do you think?
jACKIE
jackie

Postby 2coolbaby » October 22nd, 2007, 11:47 am

If you have not yet given out the parts, I would assign yours to someone else instead. Not only could it be too much for you, it could also have your guests resenting you for assigning yourself the murderer character. Not that most people would have a problem with this, but I have read some blogs of guests complaining that the hostess took the juiciest part of themselves. If you will have 20 guests coming, you should really be playing a secondary character anyway. At least, that would be my suggestion, unless you have lots of help to take care of all your party hosting duties.
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to Hints and Tips