Skip to content

Death By Chocolate Review...

Feedback on Death By Chocolate Murder Mystery Parties.

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

Death By Chocolate Review...

Postby akeduktr » June 12th, 2007, 8:28 pm

Well, I just finished my first murder mystery party last night. It turned out to be great fun! A teacher that I work with is getting married in about 2 weeks, I was thinking of having a spa party for a girls night out and then I saw your mystery DEATH BY CHOCOLATE and thought how much fun it would be to combine both events and create a different kind of party.

I did utilize your online event management system. It worked very well. I had a few people decline, and then I would invite more from our staff. I was afraid for it to grow too large, as this was the first time I had done this type of party and I did not want it to get out of control. We were to have 12 ladies, but at the last minute one of our characters was unable to attend ? it worked fine as I had not given her an essential part? she was about to be a grandma at any time.

As for crafty items? I made a bag for each guest. Inside the bags: nametag; money; character booklet; notepads that I had made; and a pencil. I tied ribbon around the bag handle for decoration.

I also put together three signs for the front of the house ? one said, ?BEST WISHES CHASTITY & MILES?, another said, ?WELCOME CORMAN FAMILY?, and the last was bright yellow with black lettering ? ?LADY GODIVA CHOCOLATE DAY SPA?. I put a red boa around the yellow sign. I put your Flyer #1 in a picture frame and put it on the front door. Flyer #2 I put on a clipboard by the front door. It looked very festive as you approached the door ? unfortunately, it was a rainy day, so my signs were starting to curl a little?

We started the evening with my famous Godiva Chocolate Martinis and smoked salmon cheese rolls. Once everyone arrived, we had the announcement and began our characters confrontations.. It was great fun, and I was amazed at the creativity of the guests! I never knew we had such acting ability?

After the death, we read our confidential booklets and had dinner. Veggie Ravioli/Lasagna, salad and rolls. Dinner was wonderful and everyone seemed to enjoy. The weapon scavenger hunt went well. All cards were found within the time allowed.

After dinner we had our spa treatments. One of our teachers does sell spa products, so she hosted that portion of the evening. It was wonderful! Great pictures too?

After the spa treatments, Chastity opened her presents and the evening wound down with the guessing of who was the murderer, etc. Two guests did guess correctly. After the discussion of our secrets, we spent a few minutes talking about the process of the mystery party. We did not have any other murders, so I think I probably did not do a thorough job explaining how & why you would use a weapon card to commit a murder. Also, guests thought if they knew who was coming ahead of time, and what character they were playing it might have helped at the beginning of the evening as people were getting their bearings and figuring out who they needed to speak to. Everyone had a wonderful time, and thought it would be fun to try another murder mystery.
Attachments
DSC01225.jpg
Mother of the Groom relieves wedding stress...
DSC01225.jpg (50.5 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
DSC01220.jpg
Justine with the mothers of the bride and groom...
DSC01220.jpg (50.61 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
DSC01218.jpg
Chastity - the bride
DSC01218.jpg (48.84 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
DSC01213.jpg
Oh no... a death!
DSC01213.jpg (49.15 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
DSC01211.jpg
Famous Godiva Chocolate Martinis as our signature cocktail...
DSC01211.jpg (63.51 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
DSC01209.jpg
This sign I had planned to put outside of the deck area - but due to rain, location had to change...
DSC01209.jpg (55.94 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
DSC01208.jpg
Your Flyer#1, framed
DSC01208.jpg (41.23 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
DSC01207.jpg
The signs to welcome our guests...
DSC01207.jpg (61.16 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
DSC01204.jpg
A table for 12...
DSC01204.jpg (66.91 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
DSC01205.jpg
I made bags for all the needed items: booklets, notepads, pencils, money
DSC01205.jpg (56.96 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
akeduktr

Postby 2coolbaby » June 12th, 2007, 8:55 pm

I really liked all of your decorations. You did a bang up job there.

I would never worry about not having 'extra' murders. Some groups are just more murderous than others :twisted: It in no way hurts the party to not have extra murders. Many party kits do not even allow them.

I do tell you in the Host Guide to give guests their Character Booklets before the party. This will give them their characters background, a guest list with short descriptions of all the guests, a news item (in some) and a How To Play guide. These are all very important for the person to arrive in character and ready to play. Otherwise, you must allow them time to read their character books when they arrive. Only in very last minute parties would a host not provide the character booklets ahead of time.
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Characters...

Postby akeduktr » June 12th, 2007, 9:11 pm

Yes, I had sent the character booklets to the guests ahead of time (using the online system). I guess the person who made the suggestion wanted to know who would be playing which part.

It was great! Thanks for a wonderful party.

And, how to do I enter the monthly contest?
akeduktr

Postby 2coolbaby » June 12th, 2007, 9:29 pm

Oh good. That worried me for a second. I have had guests make a document that lists who is assigned to which character, then give a copy to all the guests.

At our parties, we just rely on the nametags to let us know who we need to talk to.

You just post your entry in our Monthly Contest forum topic. It is here:

http://www.dinnerandamurder.com/forum/v ... m.php?f=24
Mary Lee
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby akeduktr » June 13th, 2007, 10:42 am

Thanks Mary. I've posted in the Monthly Contest area. I'm hoping to be a winner... It would be fun to try another now that I have "some" experience!

Patty
akeduktr

Return to Board index

Return to Death By Chocolate