Skip to content

Death by Chocolate - A backstabbing good time!

Feedback on Death By Chocolate Murder Mystery Parties.

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

Death by Chocolate - A backstabbing good time!

Postby Cheryyllion » August 21st, 2009, 1:03 am

We had such a great time. I hosted the party at my home and was telling people -- when they asked if I was prepared -- that I didn't really have to do much aside from printing out all the booklets and other items (and cleaning the house). I didn't read anything other than the host guide and my own character's booklet, so I just went on trust!

Because this was a MOMS Club event, I didn't want to put a lot of money into it (we didn't have a budget for it) so I hoped that I could keep it simple, and that turned out to be great. Downstairs we set up a waiting room area, in my office on my desk I set up a station were I had people check in and pick up their bags full of of money, chocolates, hotel soaps, pad & pen, and colorful washcloths. They had fun signing in using the sheet you provided where they get to pick out a spa treatment; it got them into the spirit. I even had your Lady Godiva Spa art on my computer desktop -- as it might be in a real office.

In the kitchen eating area I brought out nail polishes, files, polish remover, nail stickers, etc, and made a manicure/pedicure station. My favorite comment the next day was when someone told me how it made her smile when she woke up and saw the flowers on her toenails. On one door we had a "Hot Tub" sign (even though there is no hot tub -- so we had an "Under Construction" sign across it -- and my 7-year old was excited to see that until he found out it was a joke) and on another locked bedroom door we had a "Yoga Studio" sign. In the upstairs guest room we had a "Meditation" sign and in that room we had candles burning and a meditation CD repeating. It was a great room -- I might keep it like that! On a bathroom door I hung a "Steam Room" sign and put a vegetable steamer on the counter (with carrots in it -- just a silly little joke). In the living room we had some massage machines going (very popular) and in the bathroom we set up different kinds of facials, which was fun to do during lulls in the evening. And of course we had "product" bottles lined up here and there, as if for sale. I do have these signs I used in a PDF file if you would like it -- let me know!

Each guest brought a dinner dish and some chocolates, so there were chocolates in little dishes all over the place. The party began and everyone slipped right into character. The only unfortunate thing about a party like this is that everyone had to keep checking their notes for reminders of what to say and how we knew each other, so that was distracting, but since everyone had to do it, and not just a few "bad actors" it was fine. :) Kinzie performed her part well -- not so well that anyone was scared (which was good since I've read that some players have called 911!)

I do have to say that I wish I had realized how much Bonnie Straight would have to be in character, questioning people, presenting evidence, taking "palm" samples (LOL) -- had I known that I might have been ready with a special gift for her at the end of the night. Unfortunately we only had a few door prizes (some of the guests brought wrapped gifts as door prizes and they went to the super sleuths, best costume, best actress and wealthiest at the end of the evening -- and Bonnie was not one of those).

One thing we all thought was funny was that we have this murder and then have to announce "time to eat!" And later Chastity (who was played by a very pregnant Mom, haha) was murdered in the meditation room and Mrs. Corman said "Well, as sad as I am that my daughter has been killed, I wouldn't want it to ruin an otherwise lovely evening, so please continue with the shower!"

Everything went off without a hitch, even though one guest didn't show at the last minute -- we had eight total, so that was plenty. I really think everyone had a great time and went home with lots of goodies. And I didn't have to break the bank! Oh, the music in the background was a Chocolatey/Murdery/Jazzy-themed playlist set on "shuffle":

Death by Chocolate (Simple Minds)
Chocolate Legs (Eric Benét)
Chocolate High (India Arie)
Hot Chocolate (Tom Hanks)
Chocolate Moment (Tuck & Patti)
Chocolate Factory (R Kelly)
Savoy Truffle (The Beatles)
Moody's Mood for Love (Amy Winehouse)
Don't Let It Bring You Down (Annie Lennox)
Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon (Urge Overkill)
Pistol Packin' Mama (The Andrews Sisters)
Something's Coming (Barbara Streisand)
You Never Give Me Your Money (The Beatles)
Happiness is a Warm Gun (The Beatles)
Wanted Dead or Alive (Bon Jovi)
Mack the Knife (Brian Setzer Orchestra)
Lizzie Borden (Chad Mitchell Trio)
A View to a Kill (Duran Duran)
Black Widow (Michelle Shocked)
Cell Block Tango (from 'Chicago')
We Both Reached for the Gun (from 'Chicago')
Lies (Thompson Twins)

-- Even though the party went for about 4-5 hours, we didn't need much more than that short list since everyone was too busy chatting to notice repeats. :) Thanks for the fun and easy party idea!!
Attachments
2009-08-18y-Another-murder-.jpg
Poor Mrs Belvedere didn't have a chance. No one ever knew why she was murdered. But I love Porsche just sitting there casually enjoying her facial.
2009-08-18v-Mrs-Corman-gett.jpg
Facials were a highlight
2009-08-18k-Murder-&-distra.jpg
Murder most foul!
2009-08-18a-Enjoy-it-now-Ki.jpg
We had cut up cucumbers on ice for anyone who wanted to partake!
2009-08-18e-Porsche-Kinzie-.jpg
Plotting and scheming
Cheryyllion

Return to Board index

Return to Death By Chocolate