Skip to content

Gender Ratio and Replacing Flakers

Questions about aspects of any of our games you might not understand or want to know more about.

Gender Ratio and Replacing Flakers

Postby zoraster » April 9th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Two questions (first of probably a few) based on Murder at the Four Dueces.

First, I realized today when I sent out invitations that I'm expecting 13 females and 8 males. I know you've addressed this to some extent at too-many-females-t364.html?hilit=males%20and%20females, but since I may have (if everyone shows up) that many females, are there any roles that lend themselves to gender switching? I'm heavily considering buying the extra character pack anyway, but I thought I'd check.

As a related note, are there any extra character pack #1 characters you think may be more fun/integral than the original characters? I know you've said that the Guiseppis and Steals know the same information, so maybe it'd be better to use the extra characters rather than have both of those? I'd especially love to use Cheatum since about half the attendees will be lawyers.

Second, my friends have been known to flake. I have high expectations for this event because (1) it's highly anticipated; (2) I've given everyone two months of advance warning;(3) they know my retribution will be terrible to behold; (4) I'll place the most likely flakes in secondary roles. But I figured I'd prepare anyway.

So say it's game night and I realize that one of the characters is not going to show. I realize that if it's a "main" character I should find one of the secondary characters, quickly take them aside, give them the main character info, and swap them out. But what about other characters? At what point should I not replace the character with a more secondary one? For example, if the congressman no shows, would it be wise to replace him with the person who previously played the mayor if that's the "least" significant character or should I just leave it be?
zoraster

Re: Gender Ratio and Replacing Flakers

Postby zoraster » April 12th, 2009, 1:17 pm

any response to this?
zoraster

Postby 2coolbaby » April 13th, 2009, 8:36 pm

Sorry about my late reply. My son had surgery last week out of town and we just got back to town yesterday.

You cannot do gender switching of characters. You can have females play male characters, but I really would get the extra character packet, as this will simplify everything. The 1st extra character packet has a lot of really good characters that blend into the main game well. There is Serina Siren from Italy. You have Penny Cheatum, "Family" attorney and Scoop Jennings - reporter. These are all great female extra characters. They would not event realize that they were extra.

I like your #3 reason for your guests not flaking :lol: I am the exact same way.

If your Congressman wasn't showing up, then I would switch him with a more secondary one, only because the Congressman really is an important character. In fact we tell you that if you only have 5 men, then give the Congressman as Big Jim's secondary character. So while he isn't listed in red, we do expect him to be there, even if it is later. I would not worry about reassigning any other secondary characters, unless you have some people assigned to extra characters and a secondary isn't showing up. Did you understand any of that :wink:
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby zoraster » April 14th, 2009, 11:43 am

Thanks! I hope your son is recovering well.

Also, right now I've got 19 people expected, 11 females and 8 males. I'm waiting to hear from a few others, so it's possible that number will go up. I went ahead and got the extra character pack.

Right now on my working guestlist, I have all the female characters cast as well as penny cheatum. My question is about additional males. Since the cashes and guisseppes know the same information, would it be more fun for people if i use extra characters rather than doubling up on these two couples?

I defer to your expertise :)

Thanks again!
zoraster

Return to Board index

Return to Game Specific Questions