Skip to content

Hosting murder mystery as a suprise...

Thinking of purchasing a game, but still have questions? Post it here!

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

Hosting murder mystery as a suprise...

Postby Joel » January 31st, 2005, 11:36 am

I like what I see with your murder mystery kits, but I haven't found enough info about them to know if they are suitable (namely, the 4 Deuces) for my scenerio:
I'm hosting a birthday part that will have about 20 teenagers and several adults. I would like make the guests think that the party is just a normal, every-day birthday party, and then soon after they've arrived, I surprise them with a quick transition to the unexpected murder mystery (via a scream of someone murdered, etc)
How well do you think the 4 Deuces would fit into such a scenerio? And are costumes vital to the game? - because a "suprise" mystery like this would not allow guests to know in advance to wear a costume. And how well does this particular "no-script" method of play work with 15-17 year old teens?

Thanks so much for your answers,
Joel
Joel

Re: Hosting murder mystery as a suprise...

Postby 2coolbaby » February 1st, 2005, 2:36 am

Joel wrote:I like what I see with your murder mystery kits, but I haven't found enough info about them to know if they are suitable (namely, the 4 Deuces) for my scenerio:
I'm hosting a birthday part that will have about 20 teenagers and several adults. I would like make the guests think that the party is just a normal, every-day birthday party, and then soon after they've arrived, I surprise them with a quick transition to the unexpected murder mystery (via a scream of someone murdered, etc)
How well do you think the 4 Deuces would fit into such a scenerio? And are costumes vital to the game? - because a "suprise" mystery like this would not allow guests to know in advance to wear a costume. And how well does this particular "no-script" method of play work with 15-17 year old teens?

Hi Joel,

I have had many people host this as a surprise party, but in most instances everyone except the birthday guest of honor is in on the surprise. I would advise against having a scream of someone murdered be the way you introduce the game. This could really mess up some of your guests. I had read an article once about some people that were hosting a murder mystery game at a restaurant in a public area and when a shot was heard, followed by a scream it caused a hysterical panic in the restaurant patrons. Some stampeded for the doors, called the police & people were hiding under tables. They were not too happy to learn that it was only a party & most felt that management should have warned them of this. For this reason I would not recommend this method of springing a surprise! You just cannot be assured of how your guests will react. It is possible that someone could be seriously hurt & this is the last thing you would want at your party.

You could plan it as a surprise by handing out characters after everyone arrives and telling them that they will be participating in a murder mystery game. If you do this there are a few small items that some of the characters would need for the game and you would need to provide these. If you decide to go this route contact me & I will let you know who needs what. These are very common items like a deck of cards etc... Normally those provided with their character before the party know if they have to bring a prop for their character.

For a party of teenagers I would suggest the Teen rated version of Murder at the Four Deuces. It is just the mature version with some small changes made to make it more suitable for groups that might get offended easily. It is not written for teens just a little cleaner then the mature.

Costumes are not vital to any of our murder mystery game. They just enhance the experience by setting the mood and theme. At my parties I have about 3/4 of the guests come in costume. Those not wearing a costume do not suffer for it. Another alternative is to tell your guests that your party will be a roaring twenties theme without mentioning the murder mystery part of it.

I think I covered all of your questions. Feel free to post any others you might have.
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to Pre-Purchase Questions