Skip to content

Gameplay compared to another series

Thinking of purchasing a game, but still have questions? Post it here!

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

Gameplay compared to another series

Postby Christina » May 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

I know you are refraining from calling other games out, but I really wanted some input if you have some.

A couple of years ago I hosted "Saturday Night Cleaver," a 70's themed game from the "How to Host a Murder" series. Since this series has been around for so long, I'm sure you've had experience with these games, and I wanted to know your (or someone else's) thoughts.

Specifically, I have some basic plot questions compared to 4 Deuces. Although our party was a blast and we danced the night away, the actual resolution and the subplots were so over the top that it just got flat out ridiculous. When the characters read their final scripts, they were describing things that never could have happened in reality, and that no one would have EVER figured out if they were actually trying to solve the mystery.

One question I have is, are your scenarios "realistic" enough that when guests explain themselves, they're not going to be making outrageous claims that are hard to believe? I mean to the point of defying what's actually humanly possible? Some of the scripts/subplots in our game were just beyond belief, so that when the character "revealed" what they had been up to, we just shook our heads and said, "Um, okay, whatever. Next?"

My other question relates to the things characters try to keep secret. In the game we played, characters had a list of things they didn't want revealed. I just assumed that OTHER characters would have some knowledge about it and would call another character out. As it turns out, the stuff that was 'secret' was, indeed, secret -- it was known only to that particular character. And because we were all doing such good jobs at keeping our own secrets as instructed, none of us really had a clue of what was going on. It was really disappointing to realize that half the plot was contained in the secret stuff that my guests were told not to reveal!

The end effect was that as we sat around and revealed our secrets at the time of the murder resolution, we realized there simply was no way to have solved any sort of murder with the scripts or character information we were permitted to reveal. In other words, it was 3 hours of roleplay, not 3 hours of murder mystery.

I was wondering if you have designed 4 Deuces in such a way that we won't fall into the same sort of confusion. I know you give your characters "secrets," but are they things that someone else somewhere already knows, are they intended to actually be revealed, or are they just enhancements that help characters play without actually containing major plot points? If you assume that faithful players will withhold the information they are supposed to keep secret, will the game still make sense?

Thanks so much! Christina
Christina

Re: Gameplay compared to another series

Postby 2coolbaby » May 21st, 2005, 12:11 am

Christina wrote:I know you are refraining from calling other games out, but I really wanted some input if you have some.

A couple of years ago I hosted "Saturday Night Cleaver," a 70's themed game from the "How to Host a Murder" series. Since this series has been around for so long, I'm sure you've had experience with these games, and I wanted to know your (or someone else's) thoughts.

Specifically, I have some basic plot questions compared to 4 Deuces. Although our party was a blast and we danced the night away, the actual resolution and the subplots were so over the top that it just got flat out ridiculous. When the characters read their final scripts, they were describing things that never could have happened in reality, and that no one would have EVER figured out if they were actually trying to solve the mystery.

One question I have is, are your scenarios "realistic" enough that when guests explain themselves, they're not going to be making outrageous claims that are hard to believe? I mean to the point of defying what's actually humanly possible? Some of the scripts/subplots in our game were just beyond belief, so that when the character "revealed" what they had been up to, we just shook our heads and said, "Um, okay, whatever. Next?"

Our scenarios are very believable and realistic. Yes we may get a couple quirky characters, but there are no outrageous or unbelievable plots or sub-plots. I wanted to create our games to run like real life and if you go too far out there then you lose the realistic factor which is what makes them so interesting.

My other question relates to the things characters try to keep secret. In the game we played, characters had a list of things they didn't want revealed. I just assumed that OTHER characters would have some knowledge about it and would call another character out. As it turns out, the stuff that was 'secret' was, indeed, secret -- it was known only to that particular character. And because we were all doing such good jobs at keeping our own secrets as instructed, none of us really had a clue of what was going on. It was really disappointing to realize that half the plot was contained in the secret stuff that my guests were told not to reveal!

The end effect was that as we sat around and revealed our secrets at the time of the murder resolution, we realized there simply was no way to have solved any sort of murder with the scripts or character information we were permitted to reveal. In other words, it was 3 hours of roleplay, not 3 hours of murder mystery.

I was wondering if you have designed 4 Deuces in such a way that we won't fall into the same sort of confusion. I know you give your characters "secrets," but are they things that someone else somewhere already knows, are they intended to actually be revealed, or are they just enhancements that help characters play without actually containing major plot points? If you assume that faithful players will withhold the information they are supposed to keep secret, will the game still make sense?

What fun is a secret if you are the only one that knows it? :twisted: If you have a secret then more then likely at LEAST one other person knows that secret and one or two others may have enough information to lead them to learn that secret. This is where game money comes in so handy. Bribery and blackmail are a HUGE part of our parties :lol:

There are several game producers out there that just don't create good games. It takes a certain talent to create a good game. Don't get me wrong there are also some really good ones out there. This is why I list other game producers on my adult games page. If you don't find one of mine that suits your needs I want to be sure that you still get a good game. All it takes is one really bad game to turn everyone at that party to thinking murder mystery parties are a boor. Whereas a really good game will turn those guests into future customers.

When looking for a murder mystery game it is a good idea to research. Read between the lines of those "reviews" posted by a site. This is why I have a forum on my site. I encourage people to post real reviews in their own unedited words.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions you might have.
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby Bryan » September 27th, 2005, 3:33 am

We've just had a VERY successful 4 Deuces party. I can thoroughly recommend it. It lasted 7 hours, and we had three murders.

A nice extra was added by the hosts - 8 weapon cards were hidden around the house, and tough cryptic clues to three of the weapons were given to each player. We agreed that a murder couldn't be commited without a weapon, and they immediately became tradable for information or money.
Bryan

Postby 2coolbaby » September 29th, 2005, 8:27 am

Hi Bryan,

A 7 hour party. WOW, I have never heard of that. The longest ours has ever gone is 3 hours.

I just LOVE the weapon cards idea. It could add a whole new element to the games. Can you have the host who came up with this contact me?
Mary Lee
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to Pre-Purchase Questions