Skip to content

Weapon Scavenger Hunt

We will occasionally have a question that we would like feedback on from those who have hosted their party. We would appreciate taking a moment to help us improve our games.

Do you think we should make the Scavenger Hunt Portion of our Game an option?

Yes - Simplify things for everyone
22%
No - We enjoyed the clues and scavenger hunt
50%
Either way works for us.
11%
We have a better idea. (Post reply with suggestion)
17%

Total votes : 46

Re: Weapon Scavenger Hunt

Postby canyongal_03 » December 11th, 2008, 6:15 pm

I got rid of the part where you solve the clues then hunt for the cards. You didn't comment on that.

If you fixed all the typos, I will eat this page. Here is just one page from the Four Deuces. The are so many instances of possessive nouns being used incorrectly and I had to change them all.

If you are posing as a professional you should get a proper editor. We are authors and always hired editors.
Barb Hofmeister---CanyonGal.
Canyon Gal 03
Gold Canyon, Arizona
canyongal_03

Postby 2coolbaby » December 11th, 2008, 6:30 pm

I am sorry you feel that way Barb, but that is your prerogative. You must obviously like something about the games I write, since this is your 3rd one in as many years.

I would appreciate you editing your post and removing the background you posted, as spoilers are not allowed on the forum and I do not wish to be accused of editing your post for nefarious reasons.

I did not comment on how you removed the clues portion, as this is actually what this original post was about. There was no reason to address that statement. We are in the process of removing the scavenger hunt and clues and combining it with the action card draw, then making the scavenger hunt optional.

It is possible to have a conversation without insults, so please be civil in future posts.
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
https://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby Nancymcc » February 9th, 2009, 2:43 pm

The scavenger hunt was really fun, I almost opted out and just did the pull from the hat for everything but I am glad that I didn't. I think the action cards could be hidden too thus making the scavenger hunt even more fun. Either make more hiding spots or keep the same amount of hiding places but put more than one thing in a spot that way even if someone spots a person finding something in the scavenger hunt they won't know if it's a weapon or not. First person to the spot picks the card they want most and then leaves the others for someone else to find. Or something along those lines. I like the idea of removing something because there was alot for me to remember to do, but the scavenger hunt was a fun part of the evening.
Nancymcc

Postby 2coolbaby » February 9th, 2009, 3:27 pm

Not much else you could remove. Everything else has a purpose to making the evening work the way it should: Hand out Confidentials, hand out Evidence and then hand out Whodunits and Certificates. You did use the Organizing Labels didn't you? With those and the step-by-step instructions in the host guide, you really don't have to "remember" to do anything.
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Postby Nancymcc » February 23rd, 2009, 10:10 am

You are right really, leaving anything out would be bad! We had sooooo much fun with the game as it was. I did use my labels and they did help greatly. The only problem I had was getting too involved in my character and forgetting to keep up my hostess responsibilities!! So much fun, I can't wait to do another one.
Nancymcc

Postby popifun » February 26th, 2009, 9:52 am

I believe the nice thing about these games is the originality. People love the unusual and makes things more entertaining. i would suggest to leave the scavanger hunt - maybe optional if people find it difficult- but also add new twist to the games! more options, more fun party!
as i said people are exitated by new tasks... so, my idea is add more options than taking away some... :P
popifun

Postby aferreira » March 23rd, 2009, 10:54 am

do not take away the scavenger hunt. I dont get how some find this confusing. It was very well explained if you read everything through. Everyone found this part really fun. I did 4 deuces last summer and it was the muder mystery our group has done. Everyone is looking forward to the next one.
aferreira

Postby lyssaberry » June 18th, 2009, 5:31 pm

We just held our first Murder at the Four Deuces (tame version)
for a sweet 16 and the kids loved the scavenger hunt! I would do our next mystery the same way.
lyssaberry

Postby blountd » July 22nd, 2009, 6:26 pm

I put all the weapon cards & action cards in a bag and let everyone draw one card (since we had so many people at the party---41) after the initial murder and before they went to the dinner buffet. Even though it was stated that "you must have a weapon card in order to commit murder" in the initial information everyone was given---I told everyone again before drawing. It worked out well this way. I think with a smaller crowd the search would have been fun though!
blountd

Postby emhumphrey » October 17th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Keep the scavenger hunt! Perhaps even make it more involved and extensive!
emhumphrey

Postby imp7 » December 16th, 2009, 1:53 am

The scavenger hunt worked really well at my party, it added to the fun :D
I is a cornflake~
imp7

Postby devigoliath » February 26th, 2010, 5:51 pm

keep it. i've done 3 of your mysteries. the riddles were the same, so i just changed them. theres tonnes of stuff on the internet for creating riddles for your own clues. it's a pretty simple, fun addition to the game as a whole if you bother to read the instructions.
devigoliath

Postby navygurlie » April 18th, 2010, 12:24 pm

We used both! As only one weapon card was found. I quickly snatched them up and added them to the action cards, which made it so much more fun! We had a blast trying to figure out the clues and the hiding spots!

As for the comment about the typos throughout the script or whatever. Who gives a whoopty do, I read over the typos I saw and my guests are pretty intelligent also and did the same!

I doubt typos are going to ruin your event, it didn't ours! We already have the sequel to ours scheduled!

Thanks Mary, we had an awesome time. I can't wait to put in my review and maybe win a free game!!
navygurlie

Postby lovechild65 » April 30th, 2010, 12:25 pm

I say leave the scavenger hunt in as option. In my case my party dragged on a little longer than I would have liked and by the time we got to the scavenger hunt people were a little tired. Nevertheless, everyone participated and all the weapons were found. I asked the guy who hid the weapons for me to make sure they all had been found and if there were any left over I was going to put them with the action cards. Everybody really got into the scavenger hunt and enjoyed it. But from what I understood from the instructions it can be an option. I don't think the success of the game depends on the scavenger hunt but it serves to get people that might have lost some interest in the game get back into it.
lovechild65

Postby LMSchwartz01 » June 14th, 2010, 2:16 pm

We think the Scavenger Hunt is fun and should be available, but it should be optional. Our group of players has all levels of expertise, from those who have played (and written) RPG's and mystery games to those who are new at character portrayal. The Scavenger Hunt is only one method of assigning weapons. Hunting clues is hard in a large group and randomly dispensing spells seems unfair. Presumably, some spells are better than others, and the background of the character should determine what kind of spell s/he has. Warriors have attack spells; jokesters have "funny" spells. Another method for dispensing weapons and spells would be to assign weapons and spells according to the characters, as in RPG character generation. For example, a high-status elf would have a knife and/or a short sword; a law officer could have a gun. Naturally, these could be stolen by other players. The "spells" could also be mundane Advantages and Disadvantages (again like RPG gaming). For example, a wizard or a faerie would have a spell, but a human character could have excellent hearing or eyesight or the ability to lipread or to speak in multiple languages. I would keep the rule about only using each weapon once (it gets confiscated along with the body), but it could be stolen or traded for information (blackmail or money) multiple times until it is used or confiscated by an authority figure (Sheriff, Inquisitor, Guild member). Spells and Advantages cannot be stolen, of course, but they can be negated (Wizard cancels ability to spell; noise in background makes hearing hard). In large games, the players could choose which weapons/spells/Advantages their characters have.
LMSchwartz01

Postby katiemarie » July 20th, 2010, 10:47 pm

My guests had a lot of fun with the scavenger hunt. In fact, I would have liked to have the option to have more weapon cards. I didn't go by the time restraints, but let people complete the clue sheet and start looking in the house. I also told them that I, Madam MeMe, could possibly be bribed into disclosing another clue about the location of some weapons. Some weapons were not located right away, so it was an ongoing hunt to see who could find the weapons.
I would do away with the time restrictions, but keep the scavenger hunt for those who want it.
katiemarie

Postby ctaylo63 » February 21st, 2011, 7:18 pm

I was hosting the party (Murder at the Four Deuces) at a friend's house (more room!) and decided not to do the scavenger hunt because it was difficult in someone else house. I got the idea instead, as the host, to invent my own character. I didn't really have a background but was just a "working girl" at the club who could do favors for the guests (i.e. set up murders; sell and buy information from other people). It was a really fun way to let me be involved as the host but not take on too much (I didn't have any personal goals or vendettas). One of the things I did was sell weapons to guests. I printed the weapon cards and allowed guests to buy them from me. They were expensive enough that characters HAD to get more than their initial money in order to afford them. My guests were really into it! I think it really helped the game since characters had to interact (through bribery and extortion) in order to even afford the weapons. I loved this and will definitely do this again in lieu of the scavenger hunt.
ctaylo63

Postby 2coolbaby » February 28th, 2011, 2:11 pm

That does sound like a good alternative for a host that doesn't want to play a full character. You should know that the weapon cards by themselves create a ton of bribing and blackmailing. Very seldom are they used outright and a smart player holds onto them and either tries to sell them or offer their services to use one in a hit man capacity. Many times I have seen alliances formed based on someone holding a weapon card.

So, what you were seeing is typical anyway, and not something unique to your method. I tell you this because I think the host misses out on a lot if they are not participating as a character, even a secondary character.
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Poll for Hosts who have hosted our Parties