Skip to content

No host and a new murder

Learn all about murder mystery parties and how to host your own.

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

No host and a new murder

Postby Guest » June 3rd, 2005, 11:06 am

What happens when you do not have an impartial host and someone commits a non-planned murder (like by poisoning somone)? Who do they tell? Is the murder then responsible of making sure the body is found?

Postby Guest » June 3rd, 2005, 11:08 am

Also, if the host is impartial, how does the planned murder go down without the host knowing who the murderer is?

Postby 2coolbaby » June 6th, 2005, 12:50 pm

if the host is impartial, how does the planned murder go down without the host knowing who the murderer is?

The first murder is planned out. For example our Four Deuces game, the planned victim is Don Ravioli. When he has completed his tasks he will let the host know. At that time the host will turn out the lights (or if in daylight tell everyone to close their eyes) make sure a gunshot sound is heard (popping a balloon works well) and then cut on the light. At this time the Don is laying 'dead'.

As the host you set up the circumstances that allows the planned murder to occur, but you still do not know who committed this murder. The person that is the murderer knows they are the murderer, but they do not actually do anything to bring it about.

What happens when you do not have an impartial host and someone commits a non-planned murder (like by poisoning somone)? Who do they tell? Is the murder then responsible of making sure the body is found?

The host can play a character, but they still have game duties. One of these is making sure bodies are found when any other murders are comitted. The host also needs to know who did these killings for many reasons. They need to make sure someone doesn't get out of hand, they need to know at the end in case someone guesses the killer of other murders. The host cannot be completely impartial. This is a murder mystery party and someone has to have control over what is happening. You will still be able to play a character and try to solve the original murder, which is more than most murder mystery games allow. Most of them don't allow hosts to play characters as they have too many duties. It is impossible to throw a murder mystery party without a host.

Hope this helps.
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

A Possibility

Postby Nisse11 » March 30th, 2008, 10:21 pm

I am the Host, but I am also wanting to participate in the mystery in all manner possible. I will have a non-participating person hide the weapons. Here is my question:

Could it be possible for the Host to play and just have the additional victims come tell me that they are going to be murdered and are about to go stage their death, instead of the murderer telling me and spoiling the surprise? The victim will have previously been told by the murderer that they are going to be murdered. I then commence my Host duties of making sure the body is found, but like the other guests I am ignorant of who commited the murder. I enter the weapon as evidence and go about the game.

At the end of the night after I fill out my personal Whodunit worksheet, but before I check the guest sheets, additional murders can be revealed to me so I can check them against guest whodunit sheets. The murderers can write on a peice of paper who they are and who they murdered and hand them to me before I check the sheets.

This will ensure that I have performed all my Host duties, but still was able to participate in guessing of every additional murder that may take place.

Can you think of any reason why this would not work?

Thanks Jason.

My mystery is taking place this Sunday.
Nisse11

Postby 2coolbaby » March 31st, 2008, 3:11 pm

I don't see this really working. First, when an additional murder occurs, it is immediate. IE: The murderer hands them the weapon card and they assume the position. Them trying to find you to tell you they will be murdered and where they will be murdered and you not seeing the murder or who is there, is not very feasible. Also, many times figuring out who the murderer is, is remembering who the person was talking to just before the murder.

You can solve the first murder, which you will not know. The only real thing you won't be able to do is solve additional murders. This will in no way take anything away from your emjoyment of the evening. As it is, maybe 2-4 people will solve the original murder and almost no one gets the secondary ones (unless they remember someone talking to someone else and figure it out). As the host, this is just one of the few things you can't do. Beleive me, there is plenty going on. You won't in any way feel cheated at the end of the night.
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Mary Is Right

Postby Nisse11 » June 9th, 2008, 11:43 pm

I just wanted to comment on this since it has been months since my mystery now. Mary is completely right about this. Now that we are doing The Four Deuces in a couple of weeks I can see how you would want it to work this way. Hardly anyone guessed the additional murders. And I felt like I got the most out of my game by doing it Mary's way. She is the expert after all! :)

I did convince some of my Immortal Murders guests to host The Four Deuces though. It is being held at our friends beautiful Victorian house that they are completely decorating and another friend is the acting Concierge (Host) for the evening. I have been helping by sending out invitations and providing ideas.. also I bought the game, but my duties on the night of the mystery will be showing up in costume and enjoying my character, Rhett Bumbler!!
Nisse11

Postby 2coolbaby » June 11th, 2008, 12:14 am

Ahhh, the professional gambler Rhett. Quite the sneaky scamp he is :wink: I love Immortal Murders, but Murder at the Four Deuces blows it away. It is the best game my friends and I have every played, and we have played a LOT of games. Customer feedback seems to support that fact.

It will be enjoyable to be able to attend and not have to host! See it from the other side.
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to How to Host a Murder Mystery Party Game