Skip to content

Logistic Question

Learn all about murder mystery parties and how to host your own.

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

Logistic Question

Postby sks74 » August 18th, 2006, 1:32 pm

Hello. We play one of your games every year for our big Halloween Party. Our friends LOVE it. They get very "into" the whole thing. I have two logistical questions.

1) I prefer to give one award for best detective (rather than certificates). We make our own awards every year. I usually take all people who got your answer correct and then tie-break it by if they guessed correctly on any/all "extra" murders that took place. But what's not fair to the killer is that they can never win since they know it is them. I was thinking that the killer could win if no one guessed them. Any thoughts?

2) Do you typically recommend everyone staying in the same general area? In the past, people have had free reign of our house and backyard. They enjoy sneaking off, but we've never had a true "winner" because so many things go one where no one can see them happen. Would you recommend keeping everyone in a few rooms? Or maybe just encourage people to use their money to get info more?
sks74

Postby 2coolbaby » August 18th, 2006, 2:26 pm

1) I prefer to give one award for best detective (rather than certificates). We make our own awards every year. I usually take all people who got your answer correct and then tie-break it by if they guessed correctly on any/all "extra" murders that took place. But what's not fair to the killer is that they can never win since they know it is them. I was thinking that the killer could win if no one guessed them. Any thoughts?

You could try that, but you could also see if they solve other murders. Myself I always give them a certificate if they solve any other murders. Could you not give out certificates in addition to the big prize? When you are thinking of who to assign the murderer character to, you could ask them before hand if they would rather play the murderer or try to solve the murder. Believe me, playing the murderer is a reward of it's own. Every time we host a party I get tons of requests to let them play the murderer :lol:

2) Do you typically recommend everyone staying in the same general area? In the past, people have had free reign of our house and backyard. They enjoy sneaking off, but we've never had a true "winner" because so many things go one where no one can see them happen. Would you recommend keeping everyone in a few rooms? Or maybe just encourage people to use their money to get info more?

You can try that, but the fact is that people will want to get off by themselves to concoct their shady schemes. I don't think that roping them into a few rooms is really going to change anything. Those private meetings in most cases have absolutely nothing to do with the murder. The murder can be solved just from the Evidence alone. If they do not solve it, it is normally because they are too busy having fun with their own plotting and schemes. Isn't this why you host a party? Do you want to force them to stay in one room, not play their character how they really want to, not develop their own little schemes? They might solve the murder, but will they have more fun? I doubt it very seriously. The fact is that solving the murder is not the important thing. You really already answered this conundrum: "Our friends LOVE it. They get very "into" the whole thing." Isn't THAT why you throw a party????

The wonderful thing about our games is that you are free to develop your own schemes & as you know, people are really good at doing just that. That is also part of what makes these so much fun. The sneakiness is exciting. These play like real life. In real life would you bribe someone to do something for you in front of everyone else, where even the person who will be affected by your scheme can hear? I have played in one room before and you still had people whispering in corners and murders going on in the bathroom! You just can't get away from people getting private. Putting everyone in a room is not really going to change anything. It might rein in things a little, but it won't make people solve the murder. Really their minds are busy plotting their own nefarious schemes!

Same goes with the money. People are out there bribing and blackmailing, but usually as it concerns what they want done. Once they get the swing of things you cannot expect them to waste those precious funds that could help them accomplish their own schemes, just to solve a murder :P Maybe if the prize was big enough they might go out of their way to solve it, but everything else is just sooooo much fun!

People usually buy these thinking it is all about solving a murder. What they find is they are really about being able to do all those naughty things that we would never dream of doing in real life. In real life there are repercussions, which you do not have in the game environment. People are free to let their evil twin run free without hurting anyone. It is guilt free excitement!
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to How to Host a Murder Mystery Party Game