Skip to content

Voodoo content?

Feedback on The Santa Clause Murder Mystery Parties.

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

Voodoo content?

Postby RobinAF » October 28th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Hi! I'm considering hosting a murder mystery party. I really like The Santa Clause, but wanted to check in about how the Voodoo content is handled. As the host, I'd like to play without reading all the characters and ruining it for myself! My best case scenario would be a game where Voodoo was well-researched by its creators and incorporated in a respectful, non-racist way. I would like to hand the character to a responsible friend who can properly prepare. My concern is that either uncomfortable micro-aggressions are coded into the game itself, or that the person who plays as Mambo Phillipa will end up having to educate other characters in a way that won't be fun for that player. I had thought about changing the character, but realized that I wouldn't be able to do that without reading every single character sheet and character secrets, and ruining the game for myself.

What do you all think? What experiences have you had with it?
RobinAF

Re: Voodoo content?

Postby 2coolbaby » October 30th, 2018, 8:48 pm

I am going to provide a large part of that character's background that gives nothing away, so you can see how we handle the VooDoo topic.

You grew up on the island of Haiti, whose population mostly practiced the Voodoo religion. The cultural values that Voodoo embraces center around ideas of honor and respect—to God, to the spirits, to the family and society, and to oneself.
The fact that your mother and her mother before her were experienced practitioners made it natural for you to follow in their footsteps. Schooled by some, your mother and a close friend, you soon became a popular choice for those seeking spiritual guidance in your village.

Time has passed since these days and now you are experienced enough to realize other things about Voodoo and the people who follow it. As with anything that gives power, with enough knowledge, Voodoo can be abused and turned on those without any comprehension of how to fight back. Serious Voodoo priests consider this bad practice. You have chastised many for using their power for evil.
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
https://www.dinnerandamurder.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Re: Voodoo content?

Postby jowattt101 » March 8th, 2020, 11:24 am

I've been writing an essay on a similar topic and it was just extremely tough. I should have found a good writing service on https://www.essayservicesreviewsclub.com/ and order this task not to waste that much time.
jowattt101

Return to Board index

Return to The Santa Clause