Skip to content

A Few Questions

Thinking of purchasing a game, but still have questions? Post it here!

Moderator: AlphaSquirell

A Few Questions

Postby Interested Party » January 1st, 2005, 2:05 am

Hi Mary,

Hope you and your family have a had a great xmas and new year.

I came across your site searching on information on murder mystery games as I would like to host a party for my 30th birthday, in March this year. So far, I am drawn to The Murder at the Four Deuces, and would like to purchase it, but would like some more information please.

I think some of my questions would be applicable to both the How Games Work section and this one, but chose to post here.

In the sample PDF document for Murder at The Four Deuces there is a sample character sheet for Gabby Gossip, a character in another game, it doesn't seem to be substantial enough for a 2.5 to 3 hour long game. - I have only once played an out of the box game and only have vague recollection of it and the timing. Would characters need to embellish or extrapolate from what they are required to do as per the sample sheet in order for the game to last that long?

Are there set rules for how to bribe or plot or kill other characters?
What if too many characters are killed?
What if they are killed too soon to get information from them, couldnt that result in a 'dead-end'?

I am slightly concerned about my own ability to not read extra information that will prevent me from knowing the solution :oops: - I don't want to know, as I would like to participate, but am a very curious person by nature and just not looking at something would be difficult to say the least - have you considered or do you provide a 2 part download? so that someone like me can prevent themselves from actually being in possession of the entire game prior to the party? Do you have suggestions on what to do in this case?

The group of friends I am inviting are all my age and younger and while I personally don't have a problem with my character being 47 for example, I have got to a point where a very attractive and much younger friend of mine would have to play Baroness Ravioli - I am not sure that she would not take offense to being cast as a high society croney with an attitude- Have you ever changed character's profiles? Do you have suggestions on what to do in this instance?

This is kind of related to the previous question and its more about character envy - I have a couple of friends who will play their parts to the nines and be very entertaining but if they do not have the best characters they would be less likely to participate fully. Are all main character roles equal? Do they all have a similar amount to do?

Because it is my 30th birthday I was also hoping to combine the opening of the four deuces with my birthday do you think one of the characters could be turning 30 or would juggling ages mess with the plot?

I was leaning toward being Madam MeMe at this stage.

It's very important to me that no player feels less important or less pivotal to the evening, what is your experience with playing different kind of roles?

Also if the Inspector does not have a secrets page does he also not have , what he needs to know, and what he needs to do? If he doesn't, then what does he do? How can he participate without the guidance given to the other characters?

Thanks very much for the opportunity to ask these questions and in advance for your response.
:D Quanita
Interested Party

Another Question

Postby Interested Party » January 1st, 2005, 2:15 am

Hi,
me again :D

I also just read the section in playing tips on other characters commiting murder, I would like to participate and if possible if two other characters are murderer and mudered to not know this information but be able to try to solve it like everyone else... But the playing tips advise the murderer to tell the host?

Also if say I am playing with 12 people and 2 people are having a conversation in the corner, one of them then approaches a 3rd person and then after the 3rd person announces that one of the initial 2 people have been murdered - isnt it going to be obvious who the murderer was/is?

Do we have to allow for seperate areas or rooms?
Does the person dying (other than Big Jim) lie on the floor, or are they just a corpse after being told?

I am having a little problem imagining how additional murders would work logistically.

Thanks again
Quanita
Interested Party

Re: A Few Questions

Postby 2coolbaby » January 1st, 2005, 1:32 pm

Interested Party wrote: In the sample PDF document for Murder at The Four Deuces there is a sample character sheet for Gabby Gossip, a character in another game, it doesn't seem to be substantial enough for a 2.5 to 3 hour long game. - I have only once played an out of the box game and only have vague recollection of it and the timing. Would characters need to embellish or extrapolate from what they are required to do as per the sample sheet in order for the game to last that long?

There is more then enough information provided to play the game for 2.5-3 hours. It is hard to tell this by looking at one character sheet. What you have to realize is that other characters may know secrets about you, they may have plots against you, they may be told to do things that are going to cause your character problems. It is very hard to see the whole picture of the game just from one characters view point. Another thing you won't see are the multitide of sub-plots going on that your character could get drawn into. When the game starts all you know is your characters information. Some of the things your character is told to do will create even more sub-plots and conflict.

Are there set rules for how to bribe or plot or kill other characters?

There are no set rules for bribing or plotting. There is no need as this is a natural human instinct. It may get surpressed by our morals, but that doesn't mean all of us don't have it in us to do it if necessary. Murder mystery games allow you to act out on normally surpressed urges without any guilt :twisted:

There are some rules for killing. The main one being that no serial killing is allowed & people must have a very good reason for committing murder and be sure that they can get away with it. This is stated in the Host Announcement that the host makes at the start of the party. Our games are made to run as lifelike as possible, therefore if you were going to commit a murder you would do your best to make sure that you could get away with it before doing it. There are rules given on how to poison also.

What if too many characters are killed?
This is partially addressed above. The average # of characters killed in any of our games is 3 and most of these won't be until later in the evening when things have heated up & characters are really wheeling and dealing. One of the rules in killing is that the killer has to come to the host & tell you that they killed someone and tell you where to find the body. We don't want someone having to spend the party stuffed in a closet. This also allows you to rein in someone that is getting out of hand. I had that happen once which is why I added the statement to the Host Announcement. I had to tell this person that they could not keep killing like that for no good reason & that those actions could affect the game. Since I added the statement this has never been a problem.

What if they are killed too soon to get information from them, couldnt that result in a 'dead-end'?
Again this is partially answered above. The majority of murders don't happen until the last third of the party. In addition I have planned for this by making sure that several people have access to any vital information. In addition to this the murder can be solved just from the Evidence itself. The Evidence has concrete clues that most people will miss, but it is there to find for those with a sharp eye and anylitical mind.

I am slightly concerned about my own ability to not read extra information that will prevent me from knowing the solution :oops: - I don't want to know, as I would like to participate, but am a very curious person by nature and just not looking at something would be difficult to say the least - have you considered or do you provide a 2 part download? so that someone like me can prevent themselves from actually being in possession of the entire game prior to the party? Do you have suggestions on what to do in this case?

I did take this into consideration when designing the game and it is covered in the Host Guide. The main thing is to NOT read any of the character sheets. You can assign guests using the Guest List which has a short description of each character to help with this. I have put the characters names in a large bold font at the top of the character sheets to help people handle these sheets witout looking down at the information. I cannot keep you from reading their information if your curiosity gets the better of you & putting the sheets in a seperate file would not help deter your curiosity at all. You have to decide how badly you want to play the game without knowing everything. If you really want to do this then you won't read the character sheets.

The group of friends I am inviting are all my age and younger and while I personally don't have a problem with my character being 47 for example, I have got to a point where a very attractive and much younger friend of mine would have to play Baroness Ravioli - I am not sure that she would not take offense to being cast as a high society croney with an attitude- Have you ever changed character's profiles? Do you have suggestions on what to do in this instance?

First and foremost these are roleplaying games. I am 42 and have played a 20 year old character & a 60 year old character. I had a blast playing both of them, because it is all about taking on this characters persona. That is part of what made it so fun. Second the Baroness is one of my favorite characters in any of my games. If your friend can't have fun with her then she would not have fun with a character closer to her age. The Baroness is just soooo much fun to play. She lords it over everyone, she schemes & backstabs. She is a thorn in many peoples sides. There is no reason that the Baroness cannot be a very attractive woman. Age does not mean an old and unattractive croney! I know some very beautiful and classy older women. There is no reason that your guest cannot play one. You cannot change the profiles as they are deeply written into the plot of the game. The Baroness is Big Jims mother. You just can't change this fact. Your guest should have fun making this character her own.

This is kind of related to the previous question and its more about character envy - I have a couple of friends who will play their parts to the nines and be very entertaining but if they do not have the best characters they would be less likely to participate fully. Are all main character roles equal? Do they all have a similar amount to do?

All of the main characters have plenty of intrigue going on and have a similar amount to do. The ones that play their parts to the nines will develop even more plots.

Because it is my 30th birthday I was also hoping to combine the opening of the four deuces with my birthday do you think one of the characters could be turning 30 or would juggling ages mess with the plot?

There is no reason that you cannot celebrate and incorporate your birthday into the party. About 1/2 my games sold are for birthday parties.

I was leaning toward being Madam MeMe at this stage.

It's very important to me that no player feels less important or less pivotal to the evening, what is your experience with playing different kind of roles?

Everyone will be as involved in the evening as they want to be. That is the thing about roleplaying. If someone stands back and doesn't do anything with their information & doesn't interact with other guests, then they won't be as involved. If someone takes their character and uses their information and starts schemeing and playing their part then they will have a blast. I love to roleplay & therefore I always have a blast with any character I play. It doesn't take any experience to roleplay. All you need is a desire to have fun. I always suggest assigning your more outgoing guests to the primary characters and your more reserved guests to the secondaries. This won't mean that anyone will feel less involved. Just recently I had someone that played one of my games that played the character of Cash Steal which is one of the least necessary characters & he wrote about how much fun he had & wanted to be sure that his character would be coming back in Murder at the Four Deuces 2! People are only limited by how much they choose to interact.

Also if the Inspector does not have a secrets page does he also not have , what he needs to know, and what he needs to do? If he doesn't, then what does he do? How can he participate without the guidance given to the other characters?

The Inspector is told how to handle murders, plus he will present the Evidence & the Solution. The rest of the time he will be questioning suspects as instructed in his character sheet & most likely doing his own scheming. I have had 2 inspectors that were on the take and selling information they had uncovered to the mob bosses. I had one that was stealing the Evidence from the table and selling it to people that might want it to disappear! The Inspector also comes across a piece of Evidence that he can use how he wants. Believe me that the lack of a secrets sheet for the Inspector doesn't hinder him at all. I don't supply a secrets sheet for him because I leave it up to him to play the kind of Inspector that he wants to play. Maybe he wants to play the straightlaced, honest inspector & do things by the book. Maybe he wants to play as an Inspector that can be bought. I leave this up to the personality of the guest playing the Inspector.

Thanks very much for the opportunity to ask these questions and in advance for your response.
:D Quanita

You are very welcome. Feel free to post any more questions you might have.
Mary Lee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games
For murder, intrigue, extortion & back stabbing with no scripts to read!
http://www.dinnerandamurder.com
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Re: Another Question

Postby 2coolbaby » January 1st, 2005, 2:24 pm

Interested Party wrote: I also just read the section in playing tips on other characters commiting murder, I would like to participate and if possible if two other characters are murderer and mudered to not know this information but be able to try to solve it like everyone else... But the playing tips advise the murderer to tell the host?

You can participate and try to solve the original murder, but there are a couple reasons the host would need to know when and who on the other murders. First the 'body' has to be found ASAP. No one wants to be left lying around for the entire party. Secondly it is good for the host to be able to monitor other murders to be sure that a guest isn't going crazy killing everyone. The host also needs to know at the end of the game who did these murders. When everyone fills out their Guess Solution Sheets you are the one that will be going over these sheets to determine who guessed these killers correctly. You knowing the murderer of any future murders will in no way spoil the party for you. You still get to try to solve the main murder. While our games run on their own better then any other games out there, the host still has some duties & handling other murders is your main duty as host. If you do not want to know who committed the other murders then you have to have someone come in and handle this part of your party.

Also if say I am playing with 12 people and 2 people are having a conversation in the corner, one of them then approaches a 3rd person and then after the 3rd person announces that one of the initial 2 people have been murdered - isnt it going to be obvious who the murderer was/is?

You are the only one who will be announcing that a murder happened. The one who comitted the murder will come tell you quietly. Then you will casually 'find' the body. As stated earlier people don't commit murder unless they think they can get away with it. They are most likely not going to commit a murder in the middle of the crowd unless they do it by poisoning which they can tell the 'victim' takes 20 minutes to work. Or however long they want to state. This is in the instructions on poisoning.

Do we have to allow for seperate areas or rooms?

It isn't necessary but it is nice to have more than one room. People will want to have private conversations. I have had people use bathrooms, go outside, use the kitchen. You can still close off any rooms you don't want people to enter, but it is best if they have the ability to go somewhere privately.

Does the person dying (other than Big Jim) lie on the floor, or are they just a corpse after being told?

They will lie somewhere until you find them. The Inspector will pronounce them dead & they can be removed from the room or just get up if this isn't possible. They will then 'arrive' as another character who is arriving late or they will become an Inspector who has been called in to help investigate the murders. If you have characters in your game that are not assigned to anyone then you print these up & have the character sheets, nametag & money to give to a recently deceased guest. This will allow them to continue more fully in the game.

Hope this helps you to visualize the process a little better.
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby Interested Party » January 1st, 2005, 6:15 pm

Hello
thanks so much for all the information and the quick response time. It is allowing me to get the gist of how things work much better. I think I had some preconceived ideas which didnt really allow me to see the whole picture as well as I could have.

I am presently having a lot of fun looking up all the information that I can on the twenties. I've also decided that I am going to enlist the help of a family member to keep things away from me, so I am not tempted too much to know more than I should.

I probably need to organise a venue as my place doesnt really allow very much privacy for secret wheeling and dealing, but I have loads of time.

Thanks very much, am looking forward to planning the party and the menu and the decorations and working on costumes etc. Will definitely purchase in the new future

Quanita
Interested Party

Postby 2coolbaby » January 1st, 2005, 6:52 pm

You are very welcome. It is very possible to hold it in your home, but much depends on how much room or square footage you have available. If you have a living room, kitchen & bathroom, then you have enough rooms. I myself always rent a large conference room at a nice hotel here in town. It has a kitchen & one very large room, bathrooms and access to the outside. It works real well & runs about $100.

Glad that I could help. Feel free to contact me with any new questions.
Mary Lee
2coolbaby
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to Pre-Purchase Questions